cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 with Exchange 2010: The job failed with the following error: "A failure occurred querying the Writer status."

Maxgeo
Level 4
4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try running a full backup of your Exchange.

Maxgeo
Level 4

Yes a full backup has been run previously using the RAW for exchange. It was fully successful. As I am in the testing phase of familarising myself with the new 2012, i have also run a VM-level backup of this server which is first to run an incremental after the weekly full backup (using the RAW/agent), so is it possible that because I am running 2 backups of this server (one being agent-only, the other being the whole VM) that the incrementals running with the agent are getting confused as its expecting a FULL backup was done last?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know whether your situation is similiar to that when you backup a SQL database in a VM.  In that case, when you backup the VM, the last backup is not recorded as being done with BE, so the next incremental or log backup of the SQL database using the agent fails.  The backup sequence cannot include a VM backup.

I would suggest you do not include a VM backup in your backup sequence of Exchange using an agent.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'd suggest you do 1 of the following, even if your Writers aren't showing any errors:

1. Reboot the server.

2. Reregister the VSS *.dlls:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

It could be that the Writers are giving an error, and somehow returning to a running state. I've had that once!

If the backup server isn't the Exchange server, run the vssadmin command on the backup server too in order to make sure its writers are stable!

Thanks!