cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014: Create report to pull tapes based on date and media set ?

DavidinCT
Level 2

Hi,

Been trying to figure this out for a few days now and have not had any luck.

We have Backup Exec 2014 Sp1, We backup to a Dell tape library that holds up to 28 or so tapes and in this we backup about 40 or so servers. Every Friday we have a "media set" that runs full backups on all servers.

What I would like to do is come in Monday, run a report to get a list of all tapes that was used on "Friday full backup Media Set" to be able to pull these tapes to send off site. If I need to set the date manually, fine but, I want to run the report just to know all the tapes that were used in that "media set"

I'm sure this is possable in reporting but, I am just not sure on how to create the report to do this.

Can anyone help ?

If you can, thank you !!!!

4 REPLIES 4

Sym-cr
Level 5
Hi David, You should try your luck by creating a custom report and select "Media Group" under category. Refer the article mentioned below: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23219#v22163829 To explore more report options, just put a check mark in the "show Advanced Fields" check box in the same window. Also refer "Scheduling a Report" http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99608 I hope. .you get the report you are looking for. . Thanks!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You might want to take a look at setting up a vault, but this feature can get complicated

DavidinCT
Level 2

ok, Thanks for the links but, I have been over them in my research here. I tried a few things and I'm not getting the results I am looking for. I think I am on the right path but, not 100% there.

If someone knows their way around pretty well, could I put what I put down and see if you can see where I am going wrong ?

Right now, I just run this report I am trying and it shows the "backup set" name and just shows 1 tape over and over in the line. I know for a fact that this is not true as the full backups use 10-15 or so tapes for everything on Friday.

Field Selection>Cat: Media Group (advanced checked).

1.Backup Set Date

2.Media Set name

3.Backup Set Media Label

Filters> Media set name

"Friday 1" or "Friday 2" (2 Friday backups that run, copied directly from the set, so exact match)

Grouping

>Backup Set Date

>Media Set Name

Where am I going wrong here ?

DavidinCT
Level 2

I've been searching up and down all over google and Bing to find some good examples of options in reports and how to do them with out luck. There really is not much out there to give me this detail for someone who has never created backup exec reports.

I'm kind of looking for "if your put this in" = "you will get this result" but, over all very little details on these.

When I run the report above, seems to be getting tape numbers and more than above. I have to really investigate if this is correct but, this is issues on it that I would love to see if I can address maybe someone can help.

1. I set the "media set names" in the Filters. Is it possable to ONLY show the LAST job that ran instead of past jobs ? When I run the report, it's showing the last 2-3 times the job ran and I want it to just show the LAST time it ran.

2. When it shows the "Backup Set Media Label" it's showing the tape numbers, over and over, is there a way on this report I can restrict it to only show the tape label one time in each part of the report ?