cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 VMware AVVI Agent Job Log - Resource not snappable

LozBC
Level 4

Hi,

Going through my job logs every single VM backup job log has the following entry for each VM:

Note: Resource: "VMVCB::\\<vcenter server>\VCGuestVm\(DC)<Datacenter>(DC)\vm\Server1" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.

I have done a search on this form and seen others mention it with no definitive answer as to what it is trying to tell me.

It does not seem to have any impact on backup success or restore but I would like to know what is causing it?

Thanks

I should add... I have some VM's with the Symantec RAWS agent installed and some without it and it makes no difference...

I have seen references to having AOFO enabled but am unsure of what the accuracy of this is... currently this is enabled with the following settings:

Use Snapshot Technology (Tick)

Snapshot Provider (Automatic)

Process logical volumes for backup one at a time (Tick)

Enable checkpoint restart (Not ticked)

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're using Advanced Open File Option, turn it off and try again.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If the VM has a lot of snapshots, delete them Go to the VM and try to create a snapshot manually

Artegic
Level 6

My BE2012 VM backups report the same, and always did. It's just noise. After some futile attempts to get rid of those messages, or even to find out what relevance they have, I decided to ignore them.

JFTR, enabling or disabling AOFO had no effect on the message for me. My VMs usually do not have any snapshots. Creating one manually works fine, and so does consolidating it again. Neither influences the "not snappable" warning. At some time in the past Backup Exec itself started to pile up snapshots on some VMs, but that got fixed by http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH200709 .