Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 clustering Deduplication option

biocide
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

I'm just looking for information about possibility to cluster BE 2014 server and its deduplication option ??
First of all it ' is supported or not ??  When I look in too BE 2014 SCL there is no clear info about that.

Does it make sense at all ??  while deduplication option can be almost highly available using optimized duplication.

And last question – when I look into Be admin guide – chapter 17 Using BE in cluster environment – there are WIN 2003 and WIN 2008 mentioned as required platforms.

There is no info about Win 2012 cluster – so the question is: is Windows 2012 R2 supported as cluster  platform for BE 2014 ??

As I mentioned above I’m just trying to find clear answer about what is supported and what is not.

If You have some info please share it

regards
Jurek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As far as I know the Deduplication Services and the Deduplication Storage Folder cannot be configured in a cluster aware manner and yes you are correct you should be using Optimized Duplication between two media servers instead. A traditional cluster still gives a single point of failure (the disk array), optimized duplication results in two separate storage locations as well as two separate media servers, reducing the single point of failure

With regards clustering BE without Dedup, whilst we still provide the function, normally a CASO setup might be better as it can be used to load balance and provide resilience for continuing to run backups (as in a CASO environment different media servers can be used to backup the same data if the usual server has failed) If you add deduplication and optimized duplication to the CASO setup you also get the resilience for the restore.

In most environments you would try to plan the setup so that the likelihood of loss of production server at the same time as the backup servers is miminized in such a way that you should have time to recover a missing backup server before it becomes issue and whilst we do still see clustered BE servers it has become one of the lesser used configurations over the last few years.

BTW clustering the CAS server itself if you have a large enough environment to require using a FULL SQL instance for the CAS BEDB is not really possible, which is potentially a limitation, as currently if the CAS fails then you may need to know how to revert the MBE servers to stand alone while you fix the CAS.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As far as I know the Deduplication Services and the Deduplication Storage Folder cannot be configured in a cluster aware manner and yes you are correct you should be using Optimized Duplication between two media servers instead. A traditional cluster still gives a single point of failure (the disk array), optimized duplication results in two separate storage locations as well as two separate media servers, reducing the single point of failure

With regards clustering BE without Dedup, whilst we still provide the function, normally a CASO setup might be better as it can be used to load balance and provide resilience for continuing to run backups (as in a CASO environment different media servers can be used to backup the same data if the usual server has failed) If you add deduplication and optimized duplication to the CASO setup you also get the resilience for the restore.

In most environments you would try to plan the setup so that the likelihood of loss of production server at the same time as the backup servers is miminized in such a way that you should have time to recover a missing backup server before it becomes issue and whilst we do still see clustered BE servers it has become one of the lesser used configurations over the last few years.

BTW clustering the CAS server itself if you have a large enough environment to require using a FULL SQL instance for the CAS BEDB is not really possible, which is potentially a limitation, as currently if the CAS fails then you may need to know how to revert the MBE servers to stand alone while you fix the CAS.