cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 not excluding files

norbertg
Level 5

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong see screenshot below for files that are listed to be excluded:

exclusion list.png

The content of the tape still shows files listed:

tape content.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98839

"If your Backup Exec disk storage is located on a critical system volume, you will automatically back up the .bkf files that contain any backed up data whenever you run a critical system component backup job. Backing up the .bkf files can result in large, redundant backups that require a great deal of storage space. As an additonal best practice, you may want to enable a registry key to let Backup Exec automatically exclude any .bkf files when you back up a volume.

To automatically exclude .bkf files from backups, locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup

Set the value Disable Backup of Disk Storage Devices to 1 to automatically skip .bkf files. Set the value to 0 to re-enable the default behavior in which .bkf files are backed up"

In your case, E: and F: look like Disk Storages. So instead of excluding them from the backup selections, add the registry key as mentioned above.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO98839

"If your Backup Exec disk storage is located on a critical system volume, you will automatically back up the .bkf files that contain any backed up data whenever you run a critical system component backup job. Backing up the .bkf files can result in large, redundant backups that require a great deal of storage space. As an additonal best practice, you may want to enable a registry key to let Backup Exec automatically exclude any .bkf files when you back up a volume.

To automatically exclude .bkf files from backups, locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup

Set the value Disable Backup of Disk Storage Devices to 1 to automatically skip .bkf files. Set the value to 0 to re-enable the default behavior in which .bkf files are backed up"

In your case, E: and F: look like Disk Storages. So instead of excluding them from the backup selections, add the registry key as mentioned above.

norbertg
Level 5

Thanks I'll give it ago.

I made a reg dword of 'Disable Backup of Disk Storage Devices' and set it to 1 as there was no reg value. I'll see how it goes.

norbertg
Level 5

I've tried to exclude the Hyper-V VM's but it backed up to tape :(

We don't have Hyper-V agents instead backup the VM via Windows backup to disk then to tape.

Can I have some help please?

hyperv.png

backupset.png

norbertg
Level 5

I'll check on this tomorrow but SDR is turned off. I may have miss understood how you wanted me to select the server Vj. 

Basically they have asked me to deselect the server and only select the resources I wanted backed up e.g c,d,e ... drives, sys. states etc Under the F drive I selected all resources but the hyper-v directory.