cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2015 Storage showing Multiple Tape Drive Symantec OstDrive Instances

Upinit
Level 3

We have 2 Backup Exec 2015 servers in CASO/Manage roles. They are both utilyzing deuplication storage and are replicating between themselves. On our Managed server the storage is sudenlt showing 14 instances of "Tape drive SYMANTEC OstDrv", from 0001 to 0014.

From another post I see that OST is the technology used by the deuplication drives but I would like to know exactly what these drives are and why they are showing up now. Is it safe to delete these and if so how?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should log a support case with Symantec for them to take a look at your dedup folder.  Do not do anything manually as this might cause irreparable damage to the dedup folder.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Normally, they are not visible.  I cannot suggest why they started appearing now.  I would not delete them as they are needed internally.  You can look at your adamm.log and you should see that they have existed all along, they were just hidden in the GUI.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should log a support case with Symantec for them to take a look at your dedup folder.  Do not do anything manually as this might cause irreparable damage to the dedup folder.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do not delete these OstDrv instances.

Change the concurrency of the DeDupe Storage to 1, restart the BE services. Change back the concurrency to the original value it was set earlier and restart the BE services again.

Do the OstDrv show up now under the Storage section ? If yes, pls attach the adamm.log over here. Thanks.