cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 8.6 backup BE 9.0 B2D folder ??

Chetty
Level 3
 Our Windows 2003 BE 9.0 has not been running, it goes to Paused each nite, so i was wondering
if its possible to:

1. Backup to Disk on Windows 2003 BE 9.0 then
 back that up from a Windows 2000 server BE 8.6 ??

Or

2. Backup a Windows 2003 server from a Windows 2000 Server running BE 8.6  ??

I cant think of other options, all we have is 1 server running windows 2003 w/ BE 9.0
and 1 server running Windows 2000 BE 8.6

Thanks for any help

Chetty
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyon
Level 5
 Because you are backing up the win2k3 server with 9.0 with backup 2 disk - they create the bkf files.
You will then need to backup these files with 8.6, flat file backup to tape.
So if you need to restore something from the bkf files which are now on tape, you first need to restore from tape - then use 9.0 to restore from the backup 2 disk folders.

Further... 8.6 will backup flat files on Win2K3 - it will not be able to backup the system state on it - or as it's called in win2k3, the shadow copy components.

8.6 is not supported by veritas when backing up win2k3, even when doing flat file backups.

Lyon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

lyon
Level 5
 1. sure you can, no problems, as you will only be backing up files on the win2k3 server - just remember that to restore it, you will need to restore the  backup 2 disk files first with 8.6, then use 9.0 to restore the files you need.

2. 8.6 is not a supported backup exec version for backing up windows 2003 - only 9.0 4454 and above is.

What goes to paused every night?  the tape devices?  wouldnt it be better to troubleshoot and fix this problem?

Lyon

Chetty
Level 3
 We have tried and believe the drive is bad, but dont have time to fool w/ it, its happen before.

so your saying, if i map to the win2003 server I cannot backup the files from a win2000 server running 8.6 ?

Can you also explain in detail your answer to 1.?

Now i'm backing up the win2003 B2D files from a win2000 8.6,
but to Restore the B2D files
I need to Restore the B2D files w/ 8.6 then use 9.0 ?

Chetty

lyon
Level 5
 Because you are backing up the win2k3 server with 9.0 with backup 2 disk - they create the bkf files.
You will then need to backup these files with 8.6, flat file backup to tape.
So if you need to restore something from the bkf files which are now on tape, you first need to restore from tape - then use 9.0 to restore from the backup 2 disk folders.

Further... 8.6 will backup flat files on Win2K3 - it will not be able to backup the system state on it - or as it's called in win2k3, the shadow copy components.

8.6 is not supported by veritas when backing up win2k3, even when doing flat file backups.

Lyon

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
This can be done as a one off to help you rebuild the server but is not recommedned for ongoing backup processes as the way BKF file names are re-used during overwrites and the concept of media families in newer versions of Backup Exec (at least 9.0 onwards) can mean that you corrupt your media family making it difficult to re-catalog (and therefore restore) from the media at a later date.

Usual recommedation is that BKF files should always be duplicated to other locations using duplicate jobs, not using flat file backups. Duplication has to be done by original server.

Obviously if you are intending to copy the files away so that you can rebuild the BackuP Exec 9.0 server then this is OK - it is the scenario where you flat file backup the BKF files and then continue to create more bkf fiels or overwrite existing ones that causes the later problems.