cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.0 & 9.1 no email notifications

Level 2
I had BE 9.0 installed but was not getting email notifications from jobs.
SMTP is configured and test emails make it through OK.
I am not attaching job log to email so message size is not an issue.

I upgraded to 9.1 - no change
I replaced smtp300.dll - no change

Recipents are configured.
Notifications are configured in job setup.
recipents are enabled for various alerts.

the only other clue is I do get a "backup exec server service started" email after I reboot my server.

So I am looking for some further support direction please.
4 REPLIES 4

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
If you are sure everything in BE is configured correctly, it is probably your SMTP relay then. Check this for tips on fixing that:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264683.htm

Level 2
Thanks for the reply but:

The recipient for the notifications is on the server I have configured as the SMTP server.
Also testing the email notification works (to the same recipient, same SMTP server)
The recipient is receiving a notification that the service is starting eg when the server is rebooted.

This all points to SMTP being configured fine. I think the problem is the job is not deciding to send a notification.

as an additional clue I am not getting an email to insert another tape when one is requested in the alerts tab, even though I am selected as a recipient for the insert media alert.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
If you create a new job, assign it the smtp notification recipient to it, you do not receive notifications? I agree if your test is working you should get it.

Just to be sure, verify everything remains selected and the alert catagories property page has the "send notifications" checkbox selected. (it can be deselected even if recipients still are checked to receive notifications for the alert)

Daylight savings apparently has the ability to erase the checkboxes related to notifications in jobs, so double check any scheduled jobs you have.

Level 2
Ok I have found the solution to my problem

It turns out I had the "Limit the number of notification sent" option enabled but did not have the "Reset the notifications after" checked. So I would have received a few notifications way back when I first setup BE 9.0 and nothing since the notification limit had been reached, which would have been the first batch of emails.

After unchecking this Ii started getting email notifications again. I don't understand why you would NOT want to "reset the notifications" if you have enabled limits.
Is there some other way to reset the limits ( I haven't seen any).

Anyway Problem fixed, Thanks to all for your suggestions.