cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.0 on W2k3 - Autoloader issues

w_jesper
Level 2
 I've recently installed BE v9.0 onto a Win 2k machine successfully backing up to a Quantum 16 slot LTO2 (HP Drive)Autoloader. The only issue we had originally was communicating with the robotics (changer unit). I downloaded drivers from the Veritas website which rectified this and ended up with a fully functional Backup system. However recently I had to upgrade this server to Win 2003 and having done so the robotics would not function. I can manually insert a tape through the mail slot and backup onto this but have had no success with the changer unit. I've checked in this website for compatibility with Win 2k3 and the unit is listed. I've also downloaded the win 2k3 drivers and re-installed - with little success. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and if so did you manage to resolve.

Thanks in advance
Jesper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Jesper,

Run the C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\tapeinst.exe
Remove all the veritas driver and have it delete any undetected drives.
Power down the server and tape unit.
Power back up and let the OS load the windows drivers.
Run the tapeinst.exe and re-install veritas drivers and reboot.
If that doesnt fix it then the SCSI drivers may have changed in your upgrade. Update the firmware on the tape device, SCSI card and update scsi drivers.
I have had luck flashing the tape device with Compaq firmware.  Also you may want to check to see if the library or tape unit can emulate another drive/library type

Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Are you able to see the Changer and the Drives in device manager and  Backup Exec?

shirmal
Level 5
 Hi Jesper,

Run the C:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\tapeinst.exe
Remove all the veritas driver and have it delete any undetected drives.
Power down the server and tape unit.
Power back up and let the OS load the windows drivers.
Run the tapeinst.exe and re-install veritas drivers and reboot.
If that doesnt fix it then the SCSI drivers may have changed in your upgrade. Update the firmware on the tape device, SCSI card and update scsi drivers.
I have had luck flashing the tape device with Compaq firmware.  Also you may want to check to see if the library or tape unit can emulate another drive/library type

Hope this helps

---cheers

shirmal