cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9

loris_r
Level 2
My backup jobs are not running from 2 weeks. All the scheduled backups stay in the que daily. I have 122T autoloader. My initialization, inventory and unlocking are successfull. Also the tape under devices section as online. I upgraded the firmware of autoloader . I have upgraded drivers of tape drive also. Still no change.

Please help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amith
Level 3
Loris,

You use overwrite protection to make sure you're tapes are not overwritten during the period you specify.
An example - suppose you set Overwrite Protection to 0 hours. On Monday your backup runs and writes to tape 0001. On Tuesday, if overwrite protection is set to 0, nothing is preventing Backup Exec from taking tape 0001 again, and overwriting the data it saved on Monday with the new Tuesday backup. If now somebody asks you on Wednesday to restore a piece of data they deleted Monday afternoon, you cannot restore it, because you only have Tuesday's data on tape.
That's why you use overwrite protection.
If your business tells you that you need to be able to restore data for at least one week, then you set an overwrite protection of 6 days. Backup Exec cannot a the tape until 6 days after the last byte was written to it.

You determine the correct value for Overwrite Protection Period in your environment based on the business rules, the amount of data you need to back up, and the amount of tapes you have available to you.

Hope that makes sense.

Amith

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

BernyR
Level 3
Hi, Did you have another backup software before Veritas?  If so, make sure the services for the old software are disabled and stopped.  I had this problem.
Also, did you make sure you installed the tape drivers that come with Veritas?

puterijawa
Level 3
try to rollback the driver.. or it's possible you can check if you have update anything before this thing happen..

Can I know, what the error message when the backup failed? try find any error under event viewer which is related with the backup

RonnyE
Level 4
This COULD ALSO HAVE happened due to the DST changes.
If you are absolutely positive that the media properties is not an issue,try rescheduling the jobs and recxreate them if that doesnt help.

Ronny

loris_r
Level 2

The problem is happening only from 10 days before that everything was running fine. i did not install any other backups!!
Any other idea please

BernyR
Level 3
Did you check your event viewer to see if there are any messages that might indicate a failure?

Amith
Level 3
I've once seen somebody overload the autoloader with tapes (i.e. one tape in the drive and all storage slots filled). That gave the same symptom. But since you upgraded the firmware, that probably unlikely in your case.

Make sure there are no alerts in Backup Exec asking for Overwritable Media.

If none of the suggestions work, run sgmon.exe (from the Backup Exec directory). Check all options on the left, start a backup while sgmon is running and post the sgmon output - or put it up on a website -  after the leaving it running for a few minutes.

Thanks
Amith

loris_r
Level 2

i think i have an issue with overwritable media. i made the media as overwritable and it worked .

but still i cannot understand what is the difference between overwritable media. why  we have to make them ovewrite protected. the tape was overwrite protected for 13 weeks. i made it to 0 ie overwritable and it took. Does it affect my data.
can anyone explain me in detail.

Amith
Level 3
Loris,

You use overwrite protection to make sure you're tapes are not overwritten during the period you specify.
An example - suppose you set Overwrite Protection to 0 hours. On Monday your backup runs and writes to tape 0001. On Tuesday, if overwrite protection is set to 0, nothing is preventing Backup Exec from taking tape 0001 again, and overwriting the data it saved on Monday with the new Tuesday backup. If now somebody asks you on Wednesday to restore a piece of data they deleted Monday afternoon, you cannot restore it, because you only have Tuesday's data on tape.
That's why you use overwrite protection.
If your business tells you that you need to be able to restore data for at least one week, then you set an overwrite protection of 6 days. Backup Exec cannot a the tape until 6 days after the last byte was written to it.

You determine the correct value for Overwrite Protection Period in your environment based on the business rules, the amount of data you need to back up, and the amount of tapes you have available to you.

Hope that makes sense.

Amith