cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Catalog "truncate after" setting

FlatPepsi
Not applicable

I have a BackupExec 2010 R3 server with a tape library.  On this particluar library we have a 12 month data retention setting on the media pool.  Therefore no data on tapes will be more than 12 months. 

I also have the BE Option of "Truncate catalogs after" unchecked, thus never truncating logs.

What happens if I let this system run for, say, 2 years?  Will I have catalogs 2 years old for backups that have long since been overwritten?

Should I be setting the "Truncate catalogs after" to some value, like 13 months?

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As far as I know, overwrittten tapes truncate their catalogs (and then create new ones) when overwritten irrespective of the setting of that value as there is no point in keeping catalog data when the data itself is no longer available.

That value controls the catalog data for tapes that have not been overwritten and how long you keep the catalog data for.

Note if you change the value then whatever the change it will ONLY take effect for new backup sets created after the change.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi there whenever the tape or media is overwritten associated cataloged is also deleted from catalogs as it is of no use to keep the catalog of overwitten media for backupexec About checking the truncate option for catalogs should also be good practisce to truncate the catalog after a period of time http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH7297 Thanks