cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Catalogs on different Servers

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

I am running BE 2010 on two different servers.  On server 1, I take incrementals of some directories and take full backups of the same directories on server 2.  Is it possible to get a combined view of the catalogs, such that I would see the incrementals and full backups when viewing selections on the Restore Job Properties from either server?  Asked another way, is it possible for the BE catalog on server 1 to know about the BE catalog on the server 2 and vice versa?

Is it a bad practise to do incremental backups on one server and full backups of the same directories on another server?

Thanks,

Linda

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you are doing is bad practice and you would not be able to do this with BE 2012 and beyond.

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Thank you, PKH, for your response.

Per your comment, are you saying that BE 2012 and forward will not allow you to take incrementals and one server and Full Backups on another server?  Could you elaborate/clarify your comment?  We haven't upgraded to 2012 yet.

Thanks so much.

Linda

pkh
   VIP    Certified

From BE 2012 onwards, you cannot create an incremental/differential backup without a full backup.  Hence what you did is not possible.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Also please do not upgrade to BE 2012 - is planning to upgrade go to BE 2014 (this is not just because it is teh latets version, it is recomended practice because any multi-server jobs will be split into single server if you go via 2012)

BE 2014 does have the same Full linked to incremental or differential requirements as 2012 meaning you still will not be able to use your current scenario. In fact I would classify your current scenario as bad practice anyway as I don't think the IDR process  can operate correctly against Incremental sets on different media servers from the full. There may also be other restore scenarios that either do not work or add complexity to the restroe process (which we canniot define as we have not thoroughly tested what you are doing.)

BE 2012 and 2014 do have deliberate limitaions added to the way the product works in order to avoid configuration situations thaty might negatively impact the ability to restore. This is just one of those identified area of concern where we have made changes.