cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Individual Mailbox catalog is consistently the same and wrong

flowupward
Level 2

I'm running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on Windows Server 2008 R2.  We have a nightly full backup of our exchange server (Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 SP2) run and most mailbox content that gets listed in the catalog looks good.  However, one particular mailbox (possibly more I do not know) doesn't list any of the content of folders that I know should be listed. 

The actual contents are actually being backed up, at least to some degree, as I restored the mailbox (redirected to another) a few times just last week.  This wasn't without error either.  I had to cancel the restore job after it ran for far longer than should have been necessary.  The cancellation wouldn't complete either, and I had to stop all the backup exec services on our backup server in order to make that job stop.  The particular content that I was looking for wasn't restored, though since I don't have a good catalog of the mailbox, I can't actually tell if it should have been there in the first place.

There are only 5 items listed in the catalog, which are all located in the inbox.  The name of these objects are:

<No Subject>

IPM.Configuration.RssRule

Junk E-mail Rule

Outlook Message Manager (order) (KEY: (32 characters in hex))

Outlook Rules Organizer

(I've attached a screenshot of these entries as well)

I did a google search for the hex and didn't get any results.  I also tossed it into a few hex to text translators I found online and the only output was nonsense.  I searched through the registry on the backup and exchange servers for the string of characters and didn't find anything on either.  I think it is probably a MAPI profile name now.  Which I figured out after running across a post about strange messages blackberries getting mail from an exchange server will get on occation (http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=5863ECB3C133AAEF34AE435345790670?externalId=KB32860&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&noCount=true&ViewedDocsListHelper=com.kanisa.apps.common.BaseViewedDocsListHelperImpl).  We do have a few blackberry users (yes still), but it only seems mildly related to my problem.  I'm not even sure if any of those users ever accessed this mailbox on their mobile anyway.

Other peculiarities about this particular mailbox are that it is shared between many users, often simultaneously.  It also has the maximum storage limit set at 2097151KB in AD.  Though it wasn't full during the backup last night, which also had a bad catalog.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  Recreating the mailbox isn't an easy option, because it is a very important email address.  If we missed any incoming email to the address, it could be bad news for me. 

5 REPLIES 5

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

I believe the items you have listed are the mailboxes rules that have been put into place. Is this an Administrator mailbox possibly, that you are referring too?

flowupward
Level 2

I'm not sure what you meant by administrator mailbox.  It's a shared mailbox used by our sales department. 

It appears that these are all standard items to be listed in the catalogs of mailboxes.  I took a look at my own mailbox and found an item with the same (or in the case of "Outlook Message Manager (???) (KEY: ????) the question marks were different but this should be expected) names as the items in the problem mailbox. 

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Your post indicates you were able to successfully restore the entire mailbox

(I restored the mailbox (redirected to another) a few times just last week.  This wasn't without error either)

And you also stated you had to cancel the job (I had to cancel the restore job after it ran for far longer than should have been necessary.)

And you ended by saying the items you needed were not restored (The particular content that I was looking for wasn't restored, though since I don't have a good catalog of the mailbox, I can't actually tell if it should have been there in the first place.)

Could you please clarify if you have been able to restore data from the mailbox in question without having to cancel the job or stop services

flowupward
Level 2

I'll do my best to clarify. 

I haven't been able to restore this mailbox without having to both cancel the job and restart the BE services. 

The canceled restore job did restore at least some items.  This is what I was able to look at to check for the files requested.  I then went on to speculate as to why I wasn't able to find them.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Thank you for the information on the restore job.  

In regards to the backup job of the mailbox in question, one way to confirm if the contents are being backed up is to open up a new restore job and expand the GRT selections available for that mailbox from a date of a complete and successful job. If you still do not see all the individual items that should be there, than I would advise calling in and open up a case with our support team to address the issue with you.

When you indicate that during the restore the job has to be cancelled and services restarted is it because the restore job becomes hung with no byte count increasing, or due to the amount of time it is taking to finish? GRT restores can take the same amount of time that the original backup job took to complete depending on several factors, including if the backup is done to disk or tape and the size of the backup job itself.  If the backup is done to tape I would advise duplicating the backup set to disk and try the restore from there. You may also wasn’t to refer to the following article:

How to configure Duplicate Backup Jobs in Backup Exec: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24544

Backup Exec Agent for Windows crashes during an Exchange Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) restore:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204409