cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE QuickStart Edition

Morph27
Level 4
I just purchased a Quantum LTO2 tape drive. It comes with BackupExec QuickStart Edition. The CD says the build # is 5520.2. I have not dealt with BE newer versions since 8.x so I'm not sure what the differences are.

Here are my questions:

- What is QuickStart Edition?
- Can I use it to backup Windows Server 2003 (Active Directory) + Exchange Server 2003?
- Do I still have to purchase Exchange Agent separately?
- Do I have to purchase remote agent if I want to backup remote server (in the LAN)?
- Will I be able to add Remote Agent and Exchange Agent to QuickStart edition?
- Is 5520.2 version 10 latest build?

Normally, software that comes with a hardware purchase (eg: cd/dvd burner) is crippled in such a way that we won't be able to use it with other manufacturers hardware. Is this the same? If that's the case, we'll be in trouble if the tape drive dies and the replacement is a different brand.

Basically what I want to do save some $. I'd like to use this software to backup Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003 and perhaps another file server in the near future.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Steve_Brown_3
Level 4
Hi Ronnie,

I can't give you confirmed answers, as I did not choose to use the QuickStart Edition that we received with our Quantum SuperLoader 3. However, there are a couple of things I am sure I can hazard a decent guess at.

> I just purchased a Quantum LTO2 tape drive. It comes
> with BackupExec QuickStart Edition. The CD says the
> build # is 5520.2. I have not dealt with BE newer
> versions since 8.x so I'm not sure what the
> differences are.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> - What is QuickStart Edition?
> - Can I use it to backup Windows Server 2003 (Active
> Directory) + Exchange Server 2003?

I imagine that you can accomplish each of these. I imagine that your domain controller should be doable without much difficulty, however I imagine Exchange would be significantly more tricky.

> - Do I still have to purchase Exchange Agent
> separately?

I am absolutely certain that this will be the case.

> - Do I have to purchase remote agent if I want to
> backup remote server (in the LAN)?

Again, I am absolutely certain that this is the case.

> - Will I be able to add Remote Agent and Exchange
> Agent to QuickStart edition?

This I am not sure about unfortunately.

> - Is 5520.2 version 10 latest build?

No it is not, at least not in comparison to the full version 10d. I am running revision 5569 here. I am also unsure as to whether you would be able to update the software (either for free or a limited cost).

> Normally, software that comes with a hardware
> purchase (eg: cd/dvd burner) is crippled in such a
> way that we won't be able to use it with other
> manufacturers hardware. Is this the same?

I do not know whether this is the case or not, again because I did not take the chance with risking that.

In a nutshell, I would guess that this really is what it says it is - a quick start to backing up. But if you are talking multiple servers on to one device, I would seriously consider the full product with Advanced Open File Option agents and Exchange / SQL agents as appropriate (however take caution on backing up SQL 2005 with the SQL Agent - I still have not got this working inspite of assistance within this forum from the Pro's).

We all like to save money (me as much as anyone!), but there are just some things you need to do properly... and unfortunately that rarely comes cheap.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

= What is QuickStart Edition?
*Quickstart is: *Core Backup Exec product

=Can I use it to backup Windows Server 2003 (Active Directory) + Exchange Server 2003?
*Without ability to add options and agents like Exchange (except for LEOs)
*Suitable for single-server backup for the following
*Need a seperate Exchange Agent license in full version of BE

=Do I have to purchase remote agent if I want to backup remote server (in the LAN)?
Yes..*File / print / web servers (Windows or Netware)

=Will I be able to add Remote Agent and Exchange Agent to QuickStart edition?
*no

=Is 5520.2 version 10 latest build?
*no but BEWS 10d

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

Symantec Backup Exec 10d (10.1) for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278254

Step by Step installation instructions for the upgrade to Backup Exec 10d from Backup Exec 10.0
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281044

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Morph27
Level 4
Thanks for the reply. While registering my tape drive to get a license key for BE QuickStart, I found an XLS file. It lists the differences of Windows 2003 Backup, BE Full, BE QuickStart. Yes you're correct, I can't add agents to QuickStart version.

Morph27
Level 4
Steve,

I've never dealt with OFO or SQL agents for BE so I can't comment on those. Wouldn't it be easier to just use SQL built-in backup? Tell it to backup to a file on the HD. Then use BE backup to grab that file, put it in a tape. Voila! No BE agents needed :)

Exchange backup is very easy to setup if you leave out mailbox backup (brick level backup). However, the restore part is kinda tricky (I'm talking about restoring the whole Information Store). With Exchange 2003 recovery storage group, I hope it will be somewhat easier to restore Exchange information store.

Thanks for your response.

Ron