cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Remote Administrator Console 12.5

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi

It's stopped working !! I've been using it for a few months without any problems and now it starts to load (splash screen) and disappears although task manager says that a process is running.

I'm using XP and have not installed anything other than Microsoft updates. Any one else have this problem or know what the fix might be ??

Many thanks

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi Craig

27 updates to go through! I'll post back if I find out which one was the culprit!

Many thanks for your help

G

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gabble,

I take it you have tried to repair your installation? If not, give it a bash first, and report back.

Thanks!

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi Craig

Yes, I've deinstalled and reinstalled. On reinstallation it did produce an error (sorry, didn't take a note as I hit retry and it continued successfully). We are now finding that it's affecting all 3 of our desktops with this installed. All 3 are same spec running XP and all seem to have stopped working following Microsoft  updates.

If it is caused by an update then I'm surprised that it's not been reported already (perhaps it has ?). Surely we can't be the only ones with this problem ??

Thanks for your help

G

CraigV

OK then...check the Event Viewer...BE might be publishing the error there.

the other thing to try do is run LiveUpdate and see if it gives you the same error afterwards.

I take it you didn't upgrade your BE version to a higher 1, and maybe forget to upgrade the BE console?

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi Craig

Nothing in the Event Viewer.

I've downloaded and installed SP4 but it didn't make a difference.

No change to the BE version.

We've now installed the BE console on a workstation just with a fresh install of XP and no Microsoft updates and it works fine. Install the updates and it stops ! Seems to be a dodgy update but no idea which one.

G

CraigV

Next thing to do is uninstall all the updates you did, and then reinstall 1 at a time to see which 1 caused the issue.

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hmmmm, that could take a while. I'm surprised this hasn't been raised before.

No one else have this problem ??

Thanks

G

CraigV

Could be, but without an exact error message it makes it hard to check up on...

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Just a thought but can I install BE remote Administrator console 2010 to administer BE 12.5 remote installations ??

Thanks

G

CraigV

Hi,

Won't work...HOWEVER!!!

If you know the date that you did your Windows XP updates, and the date that BE RC broke, yuo can go into Add/Remove Programs, click the tick box for Show Updates, and you can see which updates were installed when.

Make a note of the KBxxxxxxx you uninstall, and then install them 1 by 1. Tedious, but it will hopefully pin-point what caused the issue.

Craig

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Hi Craig

27 updates to go through! I'll post back if I find out which one was the culprit!

Many thanks for your help

G

Gabble_Ratchet
Level 3

Haven't had the time to go through the updates so still don't know which one caused the problem. Currently using remote desktop to each server to check jobs ! I'll update this if I ever find the answer.

Thanks for your help.

G