cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE SQL Database on SQL server

Donna_Bagby
Level 4
Installing the BE database on remote SQL server....advantages....disadvantages.
Can someone explain in the backup process of remote servers how the database gets written too.....Would having a lot of small files backed up and the SQL database on an SQL server and not on the Backup Exec server cause a performance slow down on the backup of servers with remote agents?

THANKS.
5 REPLIES 5

tmcquaig
Level 4
From what I have seen in sql profiler you wouldn't have much of a problem. Some statistical data is sent every 30 seconds or so.

I'll run a profiler tonight and watch my backups.

Advantage:
1. Use sql for other databases.
2. Lower resources usage on backup server.

Disadvantage:
1. Maintaining multiple servers.

I've got my friday hat on which blocks any futher logical thought.

Donna_Bagby
Level 4
Thanks for your response. I would be interested in the profiler results after your nightly backup tonight.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

It is not recommended to use other SQL server to host the BEDB database.

Yes, it won't be possible for BEWS to work if in any case the SQL server is crashed.

Another reason behind this is ,a special feature:AMR (Automated Master

Recovery). whcih is used to recover Master database of SQL , won't be available if

you don't use the default instance.

Please note that default instance created by Backup Exec will not conflict with

the existing SQL server database.

So in this case we suggest you to go ahead with the installation using the default

instance of MSDE.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Donna_Bagby
Level 4
How do I install the BEDB back on the server since it has been installed on an SQL database server? I would like the step by step process or reference to a KB article.
THANKS.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

You may refer to:

How to change the Backup Exec database location using BEUTILITY

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275658

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.