cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE agent version 12.5 install / reboot

JohnCo
Level 2
I'm about to try and push an agent out to one of my servers, my question is ... when i do does it require a reboot ? and if so does it force a reboot there and then or can i reboot during a more acceptable window ?

thanks
8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You need to reboot if you install the AOFO option
Installing just the remote agent does not require a reboot
and if you want you can reboot the server later as per you need if you wish to install aofo option as well

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Best way to install remote agent with AOFO without a reboot:
1  : Copy the RAES32 (for 32-bit server) and RAWSx64 (for 64 bit servr) along with MSXML on the remote server in a new folder(C:\Prog. files\symantec\backup exec\agent)

2  : Open the command prompt and run setupaa.cmd
Example : D:\BEAGENT\>setupaa.cmd...This will install the remote agent in silent mode, for 64 bit servers run setupx64.cmd

3  : AOFO is only required for Windows 2000 servers, as in W2003 and above servers we can use VSS for snapshots.

4  : If you still want to install AOFO, run setupaofo.cmd, reboot not required....

Hope this helps.....

JohnCo
Level 2
Thanks for the input , sounds ideal
Where do i find the required files to copy accross ?

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

1  : Copy the RAWS32 (for 32-bit server) and RAWSx64 (for 64 bit servr) along with MSXML on the remote server in a new folder

The folders are present on the Backup Exec Server at C:\Prog. files\symantec\backup exec\agent\ .....directory

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
From 12.5 onwards you can't install the aofo on the ws 2003 or later unless and until it is raws upgrade from the previous version or the backup was upgraded from the pregvious version

This explains it

http://support.veritas.com/docs/323712

Also if you just install the raws doing the push install it will not reboot the server automatically.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
I agree with Sazz .... Installing the Raws locally is not the best way to Avoid rebooting the system ....As it is you can install it  locally or push install it ,unless you install AOFO it would not ask for reboot .

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Push remote agent, Tools->Install agents & media server, If you select AOFO option you will get a prompt to reboot the server 
     You can simply click on "NO" and avaoid the reboot, make sure you reboot the server during your maintenance period

2) Copy the RAWS 32 or RAWS X 64 folder from the symantec folder  to the target server. Run the setup.exe and proceed with the installation, follow the above step if you get a prompt to reboot the server

Note:  AOFO option is used only if you are backing up Win 2000 server, In Win 2003 and above microsoft has introduced VSS which is same like AOFO. Backup Exec makes use of VSS if AOFO is not installed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

AOFO is the option in BE that will take a snapshot of the volume before it is backed up, so that opened files can be backed.  Without AOFO, BE will skip  files that are opened during the time of the backup.

When you invoke AOFO, you can choose what technology to use to take the snapshot.  If you leave it as default, then AOFO will use the Microsoft provided VSS for Server 2003 onwards.  For Windows 2000 Server which does not have VSS, AOFO will use the Symantec developed VSP to take the snapshot.  VSP is a kernel mode driver, hence any installation or updates to VSP will require a re-boot.