cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE and ntbackup question

drew_at_NF
Level 3
I have inherited a server with Windows Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 and Backup Exec 10d (without the Exchange option).  Whoever set this up before, set it up to shutdown Exchange, run the backup, then restart Exchange.  Normally when Exchange server is installed, the install modifies the ntbackup program enabling online Exchange backups.  When I run ntbackup on this server, the option to perform an online Exchange backup is not available.

Does installing Backup Exec without the Exchange option disable online Exchange backup in ntbackup?

How do I reenable online Exchange backup in ntbackup?  Do I have to reinstall Exchange?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
It might be something to do with ESEBCLI2.DLL as mentioned here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Backup-Restore-NTBACKUP.html If this does not help then you might need to log a support call with Microsoft as you issue is between NTBackup and Exchange.

With regards other options for Backing up Exchange - I would suggest you review what GRT can offer in terms of restoration options as NTBackup will be very limited - unfortunately Backup Exec 10D was also somewhat limited so for the future you will need to consider a newer version of Backup Exec as well. I guess it all boils down to how much your company relies on the data held in the Exchange server as to what is acceptable against the ability to restore in a timely manner.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How do I reenable online Exchange backup in ntbackup?

Hmm

Are you running the NTbackup as an Exchange Admin ID?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Drew,

Best bet is to license Backup Exec for Exchange. That way you won't need any services to get shut down, you won't need to use Ntbackup, and you can backup Exchange while the Information Store is available.
That's IF you're in the position to recommend licensing the Exchange agent. It's going to use 1 interface, and 1 service account to do that!

Laters!

drew_at_NF
Level 3
Ken, yes I am logged on with an Exchange Admin ID.

Craig, the boss will simply not pony the money for a Backup Exec for Exchange license...believe me, I have asked!

How do I reenable online Exchange backup in ntbackup?  Do I have to reinstall Exchange?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
It might be something to do with ESEBCLI2.DLL as mentioned here: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-2003-Backup-Restore-NTBACKUP.html If this does not help then you might need to log a support call with Microsoft as you issue is between NTBackup and Exchange.

With regards other options for Backing up Exchange - I would suggest you review what GRT can offer in terms of restoration options as NTBackup will be very limited - unfortunately Backup Exec 10D was also somewhat limited so for the future you will need to consider a newer version of Backup Exec as well. I guess it all boils down to how much your company relies on the data held in the Exchange server as to what is acceptable against the ability to restore in a timely manner.

drew_at_NF
Level 3
It worked!  Thanks, Colin