cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE append to multiple tapes when backing up

Johnlex
Level 3
Does anyone know of a setting in BE 10d to allow a backup job to append to multiple tapes in a library instead of appending to one tape and then require scratch media to complete job?

Example:

Need to backup 600GB from one server.

When this job begins setting is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"

When job starts it will load a tape from the library that is not full and append to it.  When this tape fills up the job will go to a Queued Status and wait until Scratch media is found in the library and then continue overwriting to the empty tape.

Is it possible for BE to start job appending to first tape then when it is full, auto load another appendable tape and fill it, then another, until job is done or no more appendable tapes exist and only then look for scratch (overwritable) media?

John
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
Hi Joh,

I had a similar situation and this is how I handle it, I have 1 Drive, and a HP StorageWorks 6030 (28 tapes).

I first go under 'Robotic Libraries' and under that library I create several partitions.  Each of these partitions I have assigned multiple slots.  Say for a 600 gb job I have 2 slots x 400 gb tapes.

Then under the 'Job setup' tab I edit the job I want and under 'Destination>Device and Media' I set the Device to that particular partition.  This ensures that it won't go and write outside those tapes on top of the Media Set protection.  

While I do this on fulls and erase the media before hand to ensure I have enough space and no old data.  This will select a tape from that partition, fill a tape and roll over to the next tape in that partition.

Hope that helps your situation

Harry 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

THarry
Level 5
Hi Joh,

I had a similar situation and this is how I handle it, I have 1 Drive, and a HP StorageWorks 6030 (28 tapes).

I first go under 'Robotic Libraries' and under that library I create several partitions.  Each of these partitions I have assigned multiple slots.  Say for a 600 gb job I have 2 slots x 400 gb tapes.

Then under the 'Job setup' tab I edit the job I want and under 'Destination>Device and Media' I set the Device to that particular partition.  This ensures that it won't go and write outside those tapes on top of the Media Set protection.  

While I do this on fulls and erase the media before hand to ensure I have enough space and no old data.  This will select a tape from that partition, fill a tape and roll over to the next tape in that partition.

Hope that helps your situation

Harry 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does anyone know of a setting in BE 10d to allow a backup job to append to multiple tapes in a library instead of appending to one tape and then require scratch media to complete job?

No way to do it.  This is the way that Backup Exec is written (and actually  makes sense if you think about it.  If you have one job scattered at the end of six tapes, and one of them goes bad,  your entire backup has just gone belly up)