cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE crashes during choosing a resource

M_Ms
Level 4

I just installed a new Windows 2008 x64 (not R2) server which should be backuped. So I made agent push installation on this server. The installation was successfull.

The problem is: when I try to make a backup selection list containing the new server, backup exec hangs and after while if I try to click something, the application crashes with "Backup Exec for Windows IU is not responding".

I tried to uninstall BE agent and install it manually using path: \\BEserver\c$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Setup.exe but problem is the same.

Can anybody help to solve this problem?

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi M&Ms,

Check and make sure that Microsoft UAC is disabled on that Win2K8 server. Also check and see if the the firewall is running as this can cause communication issues between the RAWS agent and Backup Exec. You can either turn off the firewall, or open the necessary ports to allow comms. You can follow the TN below on what is required for that:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43417

Lastly, if you have an AV on the remote server, put in an exclusion for the AV to not scan the BE services.

I take it that the media server is also fully patched with available patches? And that your version of BE supports Win2K8?

Thanks!

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just give it a few moments. I've seen the selection list hang for as long as 4-5 minutes until a result is returned.

If it still hangs after a few minutes there is most likely an issue on the server where the remote agent is installed on which prevents it from enumerating the resources. To troubleshoot more you can start SgMon.exe from the RAWS installation directory and then try to browse the selction list again, you might get some errors which indicate the problem.

M_Ms
Level 4

Hello, thank you for the advices.
Unfortunately, I tried everything that you suggested with no success.

I have the Backup Exec Agent exception in firewall and I added aditional exception:TCP 10000.
I disabled the domain profile in firewall. I waited an half hour after clicking resource.... nothing.
And I generated a log using SGMON. But I do not know what is wrong. Can you please read this log and say something about it? I attached the log file.

In my network I have other W2k8 server with Backup Exec Agent installed and it works fine. As I know, my Backup Exec Server version does support W2k8 but not R2. My BE version is: 12.0 which is up to date with patches.

CraigV

...that all looks pretty much OK.

Have you tried to repair your BEDB using BEutility?

M_Ms
Level 4

I made database repair. Unfortunately there is no changes after that operation.

CraigV

...and you've tried to create a new backup selection list and then selecting that server?

M_Ms
Level 4

Yes, it is a new server so I had no earlier selection lists for this server. Every time I create a new one.

M_Ms
Level 4

No one can help?

CraigV

...I have flagged this for support for you! Post back here if you were helped!