cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE does not produce any backups, tasks are stuck without any progress

happypumper
Level 4

Hello!

There is BE 2012 and several servers which should be backuped. We are experiencing very strange problem, sometimes all tasks are stuck without any progress, status of such tasks is "Running" and current operation is "Backup", but there is not any progress, field showing bytes is empty as well as field "job rate". Such state of tasks can long infinitely until we notice it and then reboot BE. Recently rebooting could solve the problem but now it does not work any more, after rebooting only several tasks are completed and then BE server is stuck again, and, as a result, we cannot do regular backups. I have created several screenshots in order to make the issue clearer. What should be done in order to fix the problem?

1.jpg

2.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is BE 2012 updated with atleast SP4 ? Would recommend an upgrade to BE 2014 or BE 15 if possible though.

Secondly, if running any AV, set it to exclude from scanning the BE processes.

Have you also tried a repair install of .NET and BE itself ?

Lastly, do ensure if there are any outstanding alerts, respond and clear them.

happypumper
Level 4

1. BE was updated by use of latest available update through Live update utility. I've cheked it and I can confirm that SP4 has been installed. But, I have also noticed that client agents have not been updated and maybe it is the main cause of the problem. So, I'm fixing this fault and then I will wait in order to see weather it will solve the issue or not.

2. There is not any AV on BE server.

3. Could you provide me more information about reparing .NET and BE? What should be done? I have not impemented any procedures related to these advise. 

VJware
Level 6

Via the Control Panel, choose Programs & Features. Select .NET and choose Repair Install. Repeat the same for Backup Exec.

happypumper
Level 4

I have done your recomendations and repaired .NET and Backup Exec but there is not any iprovement and the issue is still existed. What else should be done in order to fix it? 

VJware
Level 6

Does creating a new backup job help ?

Any errors / warnings in the event viewer ?

happypumper
Level 4

The problem is not related to only some particular job and any job can be stuck, as a result, I do not know which job should be recreated because any of them can be affected by the trouble. About errors. When jobs are stuck I do not observe any errors related to this state at the moment when the problem is happening. After rebooting server some errors usually appear but when I investigate them I do not find something special. Tomorrow I will check log again and will try to provide additional information. 

happypumper
Level 4

I've just checked my log and it is what I've watched:

BACKUPSRV System-full -- The job failed with the following error: Unknown error

Filesrv System-full -- The job failed with the following error: Unknown error

...and so on. 

Each job which were stuck and which were interrupted when I rebooted server sent this message into log. As I've written in my previous post there is not any special information related to this case. 

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls PM the Application & System logs from the event viewer ?

And the results of the Symantec Support Tool as well. Link to SymHelp - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech105414.html

happypumper
Level 4

I've found several events in application log which might be related to the issue, but they do not provide a lot of information:

VSS 8193
WMI 10
Backup Exec 34113

I have also attached the file which have been generated by Symantec Support Tool. 

VJware
Level 6

First, clear the contents of the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEDBG directory.

Secondly, the event viewer is fillwed up with the following errors -

Error    LSI_SAS2    backupsrv        11    Драйвер обнаружил ошибку контроллера \Device\RaidPort1.

Warning    b57nd60a    backupsrv        4    Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #4: The network link is down.  Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

Error    Backup Exec    backupsrv        57612    "A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device ""Дисковая память 0001"".

Error    Backup Exec    backupsrv        33808    "An error occurred while processing a B2D command.
 Drive: ReadFMTable() SFMB Not Found (D:\BEData\B2D018421.bkf).  Error=13

Error    Backup Exec    backupsrv        33152    [6872] 08/04/15 00:40:45 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:03:00 - Retry Logic: Original settings restored on device: IBM      ULT3580-HH5