cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE errors out backing up exchange (worked fine before)

Whitmore29
Level 3
Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing failed Backups the last couple of nights. Nothing about the selection lists or the jobs have changed and all worked fine now for 2+ years now however out of the blue we have VSS errors while backing up our Exchange server. Firstly i should give a brief description of each machine. I appologize in advance for the length of this post i just want to include everything i can to make life easier troubleshooting.

Remote Server (Exchange Server):

MS SBS 2003 SP2
Exchange Server 2003 SP2
Backup Exec Remote Agent Version 12.0 Rev 1364

Backup Exec Server:

MS Server 2003 SP2
Backup Exec V 12.0 Rev: 1364

Job Settings for Exchange:

Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush completed logs)
Use BE GRT is checked
Preform check before backup when using VSS is checked
If Exchange 2007 backup source is LCR or CCR:
Backup from the passive copy and if not availible try the active copy (recommended)

The Job Fails very quickly with the following errors in the job log.

Job Log Completion Status:

Final error: 0xe000fed1 - A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Backup- \\<remote server>\D: DATAV-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\<remote server>\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during prepare backup operation (7).

Information in hand i log into the remote server to check out the event viewer

Remote Server Event Viewer details:

12:05 AM:
Source: Backup Exec
category: None
Event ID: 57860
Description:
An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server: "IAISRV".
 SQL error number: "0011".
 SQL error message: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
".

12:15 AM:
Source: MSExchangeIS
Category: Exchange VSS Writer
Event ID: 9607
Description: Error code 0x50d when preparing for backup.

Based on just reading teh error codes its almost like teh permissions aren't there to access the DB so i went back to the BE server and ran the permissions tests. all succeeded. As mentioned above these backups have worked with no issues now for atleast 2 years or so. this is the first we have had them fail on backing up exchange. The event viewer internet write up suggests corrupted DB. however our Exchange is still working fine with no issues other than this. There is also mention of a patch needing to be installed on the exchange server to make it play nice with BE however like i mentioned before it worked in the past without n e patch so i find it hard to believe out of no where i would need a patch. Our updates on both servers are done manually and none have been applied in a little while certainly not around the time the backups were failing... I'm at a loss to explain this one... Any hope would be greatly appriciated

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Welcome to Backup Exec Pains...I've got the same sort of issues with backups that USED to work, but no longer work.
Anyways...I'd say your main issue is that SQL DB that doesn't look like it exists anymore. Check that it's not in your backup selection list, and if so delete the entries. Check your inclusions/exclusions because it's sometimes shown there.
I have had issues with Backup Exec of late when Exchange fails due to a database/file not existing, but being present in the selection list. Because Exchange started after that particular section of the backup, it failed the backups.
If that file is in your selection list for some reason, delete/deselect it, and run the job again.

Whitmore29
Level 3
selection list is still A Okay can you please re-word the last 2 lines of your post. Im not sure i understand what you mean about exchange starting after ? 

edit: just checked my excluded list. Nothing in there at all.