cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE ignoring media sets!

alandavid
Level 4
 Problem: I have DAILY, WEEKLY, & MONTHLY Media sets created, with two slots/SDLT's assigned per set.  Backup Exec is always using the next sequential unused SDLT available. For instance, if my Daily backup uses only 1 of it's two alotted tapes in its media set, then the next backup job (no matter if it's DAILY, WEEKLY, or MONTHLY) will automatically grab that second tape of that media set for its backup.  Basically, I just keep cycling sequentially through my 6 tapes.

Why does BE do this and why am I wasting my time assigning media sets if BE is going to ignore them?

Alan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Alan,

If the tape is scratch, it's going to get used.
1 way around this is to partition your autoloader (if you haven't already).
Simply right-click your device, and choose the option to partition it.
Create the necessary partitions, and then go into your jobs and point them to these slots.
This will prevent BEWS from moving onto a tape that should not be used. Just remember to load the correct tapes in the correct slots.

Laters!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Hi Alan,

If the tape is scratch, it's going to get used.
1 way around this is to partition your autoloader (if you haven't already).
Simply right-click your device, and choose the option to partition it.
Create the necessary partitions, and then go into your jobs and point them to these slots.
This will prevent BEWS from moving onto a tape that should not be used. Just remember to load the correct tapes in the correct slots.

Laters!

CraigV
Hi Alan,

Any news here?