cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE installation problem main htm file download

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

After installing KB2953522 on some Windows server 2008 R2, we met problem to open any web page. Then on these Windows server 2008 R2, we cannot install BE15. After double clicking the browser.exe, new IE window is open and pop up a file download box and asking us if open or save main.htm. If we click cancel, the Be setup page keep blank and not continue. Any solution please? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

has the server been rebooted since KB2953522 was installed?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you cannot open any web page, then it is more a Microsoft problem than BE.  Even if you solve the BE installation problem, your machine is quite useless.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi Support,

Any solution to run the setup without using the browser? Or we have to use other browser and change the default program not to use IE? We cannot or we will not fix the IE problem on the server at the moment. Thanks

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Alternative would be a command-line install. This will use setup.exe instead of browser.exe. Have a look @ these KB articles -

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO98864.html

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO98865.html

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Finally, we bypass the browser.exe and run setup.exe, it can install now. But I encountered another big problem, I cannot see any job log? All are blank, it is related to the IE probelm? Why we don't have this problem in BE2010 R2? Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Does running a repair install of MSXML & BE help ? If not, could be an issue with IE.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

if I run repair, it will return failed. I don't know if it is related to the "Backup Exec Job Engineer" cannot be stopped and restarted by BE services. On more than 2 servers, after upgrading, I cannot restart the BE service properly in Backup Exec Service Manager, I have to stop the process in task manager every time, and then restart them in Backup Exec Service Manager

VJware
Level 6

Was the BE server rebooted post the BE 15 install ?

Stop all BE services and try running a repair then.