cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE - no idle device is available

melvin_sharma
Level 2
Hi, in my veritas backup exec i have experience a message whenever i tried to run a job it says ready; no idle device is available. I tried to reboot the server , autoloader but the problem is still there. Is there any other workaround for this? Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

L_Ivan
Level 3
5 REPLIES 5

B_Michael
Level 3
What is the status of the Library and the Drive under the devices tab?  Make sure they are both Enabled and Online.

Michael

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You Can try the following step
On the Devices Tab ---Right click on your server name --Click on pause and then un-pause it again .
Try running the Job again
If no luck
--Check event log for errors
--if no error found Try deleting the Library from the backup exec console and restart you services after which the Rl should come up online automatically

L_Ivan
Level 3
Here is the resolution for this

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277592.htm

Ivan

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello Mr.Sharma,

Right click on your server name --Click on pause and then un-pause it again .
THIS IS A WORKAROUND.

The issue is Backup Exec is not able to communicate with the Library. We need to perform a powercycle on the Network.

We need to perform a power cycle of the network
1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Library
2  : Disconnect the Library
3  : Turn ON the Server (This step will delete all the entries of the Library from the Windows OS)
4  : Turn OFF the server and connect the Library
5  : Turn ON the library and let it boot
6  : Turn ON the Server and check the Device Manager for the Drives and the Medium changer

Make sure that the Medium Changer drivers are Microsoft (Unknown Medium changer) and the TAPE Drivers from Symantec.

Hope this helps...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I guess MR sharma had tried rebooting the Network several time and it had not resolved the issue.