cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE v2010 Initialization failure on System?State access denied Windows 2003 domain controller

cam_owen
Level 3
I am running backup Exec v2010, hotfix 340433 only installed, on Windows 2003 64 bit, and backing a dedicated Windows 2003 domain controller, SP 2 and all updates. BE v2010 hotfix 344584 is outstanding. I will install at next opportunity, but I do not see anything relevant in the release notes.

Backup of the domain controller gives this error:

Backup- \\LOCMDCP01\Shadow?Copy?Components
V-79-57344-65149 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used:...

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied.

To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

web search finds a good number of hits related to the problem, but all involve BE v12.5. In going through the articles, I find some permissions fixes, and mention of a particular hotfix that seems causative - un-install the hotfix and the problem goes away.

The hotfix does not apply to v2010, of course, and so I focused on permissions. There is not much to do here - the account used for backup is a domain admin account. I have added to the backup operators group, and changed the account spec to domain\account format, with no affect. I have not selected the "Granular Recovery Technology" (GRT) option, and I have not selected advanced open file option. So I have tried everything I can find on this topic, though pertaining to v12.5. Don't see anything relevant to v2010.

Backup worked fine with v11d. I upgraded to v2010 because of an Exchange server migration to Windows 2008, requiring BE v12.5 or 2010.

Thank you for any help - Cam
5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Please make sure that System Logon Account exists in Backup Exec. If it does not exists then Create a System Logon Account as shown in below document with a user account which has Domain Administrator Privileges.

How to create a System Logon Account in Backup Exec for Windows Servers

Also check  If Domain Admins is  primary group, you can check this from active directory and computers -go to proerties of the backup exec system account --members of --select Domain Admins and click Set Primary Group

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

http://support.veritas.com/docs/339800

Hope this helps...

cam_owen
Level 3
Thank you for both responses! I had already found the respective Veritas articles and made all the suggested changes prior to submitting this forum. The domain admins group is listed as the primary, the system logon account is defined.

I think the references pertaining to credentials pertain to v12.5, and I am running v2010. It may be that this is not a significant difference, but definitely the case that I am not able to back up the Active Directory Domain Controllers.

Thanks, Cam

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Make sure you are not using the AOFO option --- if you are using AOFO uncheck it and re -run the backup and let me know if that helps

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Are you using the system logon account to perform the backup or some other account ?? You can check this from resource credentails