cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE version Backwards Compatibility

NeoIT
Level 2

Situation:

I am trying to restore from DAT tape.    I have no idea if the backups have been working or if there is anything on the tapes.

I have no idea if the version of Backup exec that the customer has on CD that I can use to reinstall is the same version that was used to backup the data.    i.e. dont know if the software has been upgraded on the server since it was originally installed from media. 

The version of BE that I have access to is 10d on a Server 2003 r2 x32 server.

When attempting to inventory -  the operation is succussful but it indicates that there is nothing on the tapes.   most of the tapes read "unknown media label"

I dont know if the version of BE that was used to backup, if a backup was even performed correctly for that matter, is the same as what i am using to restore.

I installed BE exec 2012.    2012 indicates that the media is scratch.

My question is:    It is an assumption that BE is not forward compatible, that is to say version 10d will not read 12.5, etc.   However,  what is the version backward compatibilty?   Can 2012 Read a tape that was backed up with 10d?    Upon attempting to install 2012 over 10d it indicated that an interum version be installed (v12) and that a direct  in place upgrade  from 10d to 2012 was not possible.

My goal is to see if in fact there is anything on any of the tapes.   How i get there, is not important.     At this point, it appears that in fact the backups have not been working.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try downloading BE 12.5:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51792

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Similar question asked last night I think it was where the OP was trying to restore from 10d using BE 2012 and couldn't.

There are a number of changes between the 2 versions and you might not actually be able to do the restore. You can download BE 10d from the link below. If you have a free server, load it on that and try the catalog and restore:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/resources/sites/BUSINESS/content/live/TECHNICAL_SOLUTION/44000/TECH44023/en_US/Q180958.BEWS10.1.5629.3_279332.zip

Thanks! 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no limit to the backwards compatibility of BE, unless the feature or support for the application/database had been removed from the newer version. It sounds to me that your tape is bad

NeoIT
Level 2

CraigV:    Do you have  a link to v12 by chance.    I dont know if the version of BE that was installed on the server that was used to backup was 10d or some later version.   That server is inoperable.   

PKH:   I think you are correct.   I dont think there was a backup correclty working.     The hard lessons of life! 

CraigV

Try downloading BE 12.5:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=51792

NeoIT
Level 2

As it turns out the client confussed and said not worry about the trying to find out what was on the tapes.

He had not been changing the tapes out in a single DAT tape drive.    If there was any data on any of the tapes, it would have been months if not years old anyway.       

Thanks for the download link.

Best,

R.