cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE with Exchange Agent still attempts backing up .STF files

James_Eddy
Level 2
BE Server v10.0 with SP1, is using the Exchange Agent to back up the Exchange 2003 SP1 DBs and server files in the same backup job. Why do I keep getting exception errors like the following? "Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\EX99\E: DataUnable to open the item \\EX99\E:\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\2e17.STF - skipped."
The admin guide says BE is supposed to know not to attempt backing up DB files when the Exchange agent is used in the same job.
Don't see any KBs or patches that address this.
Thank you.
J.Eddy
2 REPLIES 2

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Refer to the following technote for more information:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207980.htm
We also suggest you exclude the SYSTEM32 directory from normal file level backup, as most of the information in the SYSTEM32 directory is backed up
as part of "System State" backup.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

James_Eddy
Level 2
Pardon my taking your time by mistaking .stF for .stM files. Exchange Blog explains (as does another source) they are temp files.

"You've no doubt seen .edb .log .chk .stm .dat files etc on your Exchange server, but what about .stf files? Well, these are temporary files that can be created and occasionally seen in the MDBDATA directory, and are used "during the content conversion process - to hold data for temporary data streams" They are nothing to worry about (I think!) and should be cleared down automatically by the Information Store.

Chris Meirick"Message was edited by:
James Eddy