cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE10 13.0 and DPM 2012

A_sherif
Level 3
Accredited

On our datacenter we have DPM 2012 but we need to test BE10 13.0 on production at the same time that DPM working, once backup exec working fine backup and restor we will kick off DPM out.

what is recommendation to test BE10 on production.

FYI... we backing up data " Active directory, File Server, Exchange database, SQL, SCVMM,SCCM etc." on taps.

Need Help !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well that would work. However, what type of tape device do you have? Can it directly attach to the BE media server? If so, you need to run your DPM backups first. Then disconnect the drive and attach to the BE media server. Then run the BE backups.

You cannot share a tape drive from 1 server to another unless you were running an ALL BE environment with SAN SSO (SAN Shared Storage Option and ESO) and the autoloader/library was fibre-attached.

SAS/SCSI cannot be shared.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

If they're on the same server, you'd need to stop the DPM services and disable them. Start up the BE services and create your jobs if they aren't already. Then do your tests and evaluate.

Do NOT test them at the same time...2 backup applications snapshotting and backing up the same data is going to cause issues at some stage, so be very careful and reconsider running them at the same time.

Thanks!

A_sherif
Level 3
Accredited

Thanks fo reply :)

What if i put BE on separate server and start my schadule backup !! 

also must backup on separate tap ? or we can backup on tap that DPM backup on it and i will schedule time of backup that DPM not on list of it !! 

CraigV

Well that would work. However, what type of tape device do you have? Can it directly attach to the BE media server? If so, you need to run your DPM backups first. Then disconnect the drive and attach to the BE media server. Then run the BE backups.

You cannot share a tape drive from 1 server to another unless you were running an ALL BE environment with SAN SSO (SAN Shared Storage Option and ESO) and the autoloader/library was fibre-attached.

SAS/SCSI cannot be shared.

Thanks!

A_sherif
Level 3
Accredited

Thanks very much CraigV i appreciate your support.. i need to ask you another Question please about what is the big diffrence bw BE and DPM or what BE can do that DPM doesn't ? 

CraigV

No worries, and check below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c943aba8-86ec-4894-9fc1-f2f102d1dbb4/dpm-2010-vs-backup-exec-2010-r2?forum=dataprotectionmanager

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/comparaison-between-backup-exec-2012-and-lastest-version-dpm

Thanks!

A_sherif
Level 3
Accredited

What will happen to taps allready scheduled with dpm and all of them been used if i want to kick dpm out of my production environment and replace BE.. is the taps will earsed or overwrite when i configure it and make my schedule backup on it ?

Thanks