cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE11d backup to disk

Michael_Czajkow
Level 3
Hi,

I have configured a backup to disk job for one of my Exchange servers.
The actual backup to disk folder is located on the same server as the Exchange.
I have noticed that it does not overwrite previous files; instead it only keeps adding new media files. I have ended up with low on disk space warning.
I have an overwrite protection period of 1 day set up. Is there any other setting that I missed?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you are doing GRT backups (enable restore of single items from the Stores backups), the IMG folders and data will NOT be overwritten until the logical disk fills up or until the Disk Space Reserve has been met, no matter what the settings for OPP are for the media set

Michael_Czajkow
Level 3
Thank you, that would explain everything.
If I switch it off will that mean that I can only restore the whole database rather than either an email or a mailbox?

Regards,

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If I switch it off will that mean that I can only restore the whole database rather than either an email or a mailbox?

correct

But if you know how much space a two weeks of Exchange data backups will need (if you want to keep two weeks), and then add 15-20% for growth, you can set the Reserve so that other apps can also use the volume  (reserve is space for non-BE data.  If you have a 500 GB volume and set the reserve to 200 GB, when Backup Exec goes over 300GB, it will start re-using the IMG/BKF files

You also need to make sure that in the Global Options  (Tools\Media Mangement) 

1)  Either "Partial" or "Full"  is selected
2)  You have selected "use overwritable media in the target media set before scratch media" rather than "use scratch before overwritable" 

Michael_Czajkow
Level 3
Ken,

Many thanks for your post.
I'll try to make all the changes today and keep an eye on the backup.
If the thread is still up I'll write a quick reply with results.

Thanks,