Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE12.5 GRT duplicate to tape slow 'updating catalogs'

Erik_van_der_Ne
Not applicable
Hello all,

I am currently implementing a BE12.5 backup solution consisting of:
  • HP DL360 G6 2008 server x64 - BE12.5 with an HP 1/8 G2 autoloader (Ultrium connected, 6GB memory,  Quad core, etc.
  • HP DL185 12TB Storage server with 12TB expansion unit and MS iSCSI Target as backup-to-disk target in a different building, connected over 2gb fiber backbone (2x1Gb).
Both servers have teamed 1Gb nics dedicated to the iSCSI connection over a separate VLAN. Tape and iSCSI performance is OK.

The D2D2T scheme backups to disk first and then duplicates to tape to have a backup set on 2 locations. This works fine, however yesterday I added our 2003 Server DC's to the backup and because we bought the 'AD Recovery Agent' I enabled GRT on this backup.

This morning the duplicate to tape job was still running after 10+ hours and down to 2MB/min after just a couple of GB, status was 'Updating catalogs"...

After some Googling I checked if the 'use media based catalogs option was checked' and this was true.
Then I tried the same duplicate just to see if it was a transient issue but it showed the same behaviour.

Then I retried again, but deselected the .IMG media containing the AD System State: the duplicate finished with 1420MB/min...

Am I to conclude that using GRT with tape is unuseably slow?

I'm confused because documentation and inline held states that GRT cannot be used with 'use media based catalogs'?

Yet our current 11d backup uses Exchange and Sharepoint GRT with duplicate to tape and this option enabled and shows no performance problems.

1 REPLY 1

Dev_T
Level 6
I found the following Symantec KB
http://support.veritas.com/docs/325720