cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE15 does not use a Scratch Media tape

NoelTorres
Level 3

On an inherited system I'm still trying to understand, Backup Exec 15 has a job configured to perform a weekly full backup to disk and a duplicate to tape immediately afterwards. On the robotic library there are only 1 drive and 12 slots, and it is partitioned, so the job is configured to use partition [0007..0008]

So far so good.

Before the job started, there were one half used tape on slot 7 (on the correct pool) and one tape on pool Scratch Media in slot 8. This tape appears on blue, as it should.

Half way the duplicate job, BE15 requests me to insert a rewritable tape in the library with the import command. It points me to V-275-439 .

Why did it not use the tape in slot 8?

9 REPLIES 9

Ben-Veritas
Level 4
Employee

Which tape did the job use?  Slot 7 or Slot 8?

It used half-used tape in slot 7 and then didn't continue with Scratch tape in slot 8

Was the tape in slot 8 assigned to a media set after it was marked scratch?

No, it wasn't. I left the tape in the Scratch Media media set.

Isn't BE supposed to get tapes from Scratch Media if available? In the BE15 Administrator's Guide it specifies that

Regardless of the overwrite protection
period that is set, media can be overwritten
if you perform the following operations on
it:
■ Erase
■ Label
■ Associate it with the Scratch Media
Set
■ Set the Media Overwrite Protection
Level to None
■ Format

Correct, it should of pulled the 2nd tape because it was marked as scratch and available for overwrite.

Can you check which option is selected in the Backup Exec Settings, under the Storage section Look for the media overwrite options.  Which is selected? Overwrite scratch media or overwrite recyclable media?

Also, what is the Media Overwrite protection level set to?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

On some rare occasions, BE would not write to a perfectly good scratch/over-writable tape.  If this happens again with the same tape, do the following.

1) associate this tape with the Retired media set and then right-click to delete it.

2) scan/inventory the slot to introduce it again to BE and everything should be o.k.

Based on your settings, it appears you have everything configured properly. 

How often is this occuring?

Are you running an inventory of the slots when inserting new tapes?

Thank you for this advice, pkh! I had this same problem with some LTO8 tapes in BE 20.3 and this appears to have solved the problem.