cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010/2012 Archiving Option

teiva-boy
Level 6

With the BE archiving option, when data is stored in the partition, does it get put into a container (CAB) like it can be in Enterprise Vault?

Or are the files left in the native EV format?

What I'm trying to understand is if the archived data is compressed in anyway upon being archived.  Something that Enterprise Vault could do (collections) but the option is not shown in any admin guides for BE.

4 REPLIES 4

dl2rcf
Level 5

With the BE archiving option, when data is stored in the partition, does it get put into a container (CAB) like it can be in Enterprise Vault?

Interesting question, which I asked myself today! I haven't used BE A.O. yet, but on page 1 of the A.O. white paper, it states that

- files will be compressed to a single file

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-backup_exec_2010_archiving_options_WP_20...

If this is .cab, frankly I don't know.

Greetings, Ruben

teiva-boy
Level 6

*.DVS files is what EV uses, which are a proprietary EV file format.  It's a container file, that can contain one or more files.  Usually a 5MB file IIRC.

EV can later take those DVS files, and compress them (and optionally encrypt) into a .CAB file.  You can even tweak how big of a CAB file too, to lower file counts in a partition (to make backups faster) at the expense of EV server performance when opening the CAB files.

That said, I think it's a CAB in BE too, but I've found out that from a long-term standpoint as well as flexibility, the BE AO is not a mature nor solid product.  That a full featured archiving product was needed.  Thus, I broadened my search to enterprise products from Commvault, EMC, Symantec, and HP.  I picked a winner in the end though.  Not important for me to state here, but just important to note, Know your requirements to narrow your vendors.

dl2rcf
Level 5

Thanks for the explanation.

Do You know whether Backup Exec with Archiving Option is capable of ARCHIVING to a tape robot (not backup, which yet works with BE alone, but ARCHIVE (forever))? (Backup (temporarily) don't care whether tape or HDD ---> Archive (forever!) tape )

Or do You absolutely have to buy Enterprise Vault just for this purpose?

teiva-boy
Level 6

To be able to set a policy that takes files over a certain age that are not modifed or over a certain size and move to disk or tape, yet be searchable by end-users to be recalled for access automaitcally, you need Enterprise Vault.  If just disk, BackupExec can do it.  Though end-user access is a bit more cumbersome, and not as streamlined as EV.

However within BackupExec, you can do an Archive job, which is a backup job that after a successful backup, deletes the files from the source.  This is free.