cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 5204 R3 Agent update after SP1 upgrade really necessary?

Wilco_Leistra
Level 2

Good day all,

I need some insights on a simple task. I am planning to update our BE2010 SP1 version to SP2 running on a 2008 R2 server. Our serverpark contains 50+ office related servers with the backup agent installed (mostly Windows server).

By reading the post requisites of SP2 i see the line:

- Agent for Windows Servers will need to be updated after installing this Service Pack.

Now i have compared the date modification on the files in the D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64 directory and see that the files aren't changed after updating BE 2010 to SP2 in our test environment. I don't mind doing the work and update all our office servers, but would be a waste of time if it's not necessary.

Anyone knows if the agent update is really necessary or just one of the default instructions that comes with any mayor update?

Man thanks in advance.

Regards,

Wilco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you push install setup file from the Rawsx64 is used and then updates are installed as well

When you manually install the agent updates are not installed and you need to copy the updates from the updates direcotry to update the remote agent.

Hence its always good to push the agent to save manual work , and should be used in situations where push install is failing

As of now we would suggest you 2010 Sp3 and push the agents

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

There should be no problem updating from SP1 to SP3

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The changes are also made to the RAWS agent (see the BE 2010 R3 SP2 readme for these changes). If you don't push-install them out, fixes are not applied. It is always recommended that you push-install out to the remote agents.

Thanks!

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should be looking at

D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Update directory

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

2010 R3 SP3 has just been released (manual downlaod not yet on live update) so don't push out anything less than that, update to very latest available patches on the media server and then push out, otherwise you will be  duplicating effort.

For info of others as OP is in R3, If you are not on 2010 R3 then would heavily recommend you update to R3 first, as we have stopped releasing updates for 2010 (sometimes referred to as R1) and 2010 R2

Wilco_Leistra
Level 2

Thank you for the comments. The Updates directory indeed contain more recent .msp files. I did some manual agent installations in the past by taking the ../Agents/RAW% directory and run the Setupaofo.cmd setup. Wondering now if those servers contain a very old agent (or even the first original release?), cause the agent was not pushed and the Updates directory was probably not used.

Back to the issue; we are running 2010 R3 SP1 so when doing all the agent updates we better update to SP3 instead of SP2. Are there no issues updating from SP1 to SP3, or do i have to update to SP2 first?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

When you push install setup file from the Rawsx64 is used and then updates are installed as well

When you manually install the agent updates are not installed and you need to copy the updates from the updates direcotry to update the remote agent.

Hence its always good to push the agent to save manual work , and should be used in situations where push install is failing

As of now we would suggest you 2010 Sp3 and push the agents

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

There should be no problem updating from SP1 to SP3