cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 B2D2T

Gotcha
Not applicable

First off, I have to apoligize not being as informed as I should be. I have recently been thrown into a situation where I need to manage backup exec. And as luck would have it, the server crashed and was not recoveryable.

(should have had a backup... :) )

Anyways, My situation is I now need to configure the backups for a live enviroment before something goes wrong... essentially time is of the essence.

I have 1 Backup Server with 1.6TB of Disk BE 2010 and LTO 2 Tape Device and 1 agent

I have 1 Windows 2003 Server that acts as a DC\Exchange2k3\File and Print

I am looking for some instructions on how I can dump full nightly backups to disk and duplicate that information afterwards to tape.

I have done my best to understand the application however, I know I am missing something.

..........................................................................................................

Heres what I have done.

I have created:

Backup to Disk Folder

Daily Media Set 0 hours overwrite 0 hours append

Backup Selection List to include all folders and exchange + system state.

..........................................................................................................

I read that I should use the "New Policy using Wizard Option" I followed this and created a backup to disk job. Here is where I get lost. I cant figure out

Where to add a second job that copies the data JUST backed up to disk to tape. From what I read, It looked like it is 1 procedure... It backs up to disk... Then right after backs up to tape.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, I KNOW I SHOULD LEARN THE APPLICATION.... However, in this situation I need to ask for more specific help as I am not comfortable running without a backup..

Thanks again guys

R

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

First of all check you have Backup Exec 2010 R3 (Build 13.0.5204) if you have not the seriosuly consider upgrading to thehat build and applying the latest servcie pack plus hotfixes.

Secondly an LTO-2 drive might be a bit capacity limiting as such you shodul probably considet a harwdare update (unless all your required data will fit on one tape, or your LOT-2 drive is part of a library trat can hold multiple tapes.

With regards the job setup

The order would be (noet if you missed a step then you can do it later this is just an approriate guide if you were at a 0 config point.)

1) Create appropriate media sets fo0er how liong you want to keep your on disk and tape based backup sets (you may need different retension periods and may also need to consider weekly and monthly differences so may need more than 1 media set. BTW 0 hour overwrite is a seriously dangerous setting as it leaves no protection from Backup Exec overwriting the on disk or tape based media before you want to. Please spend some time to read the admin guide chapter on media management and possibly also watch this short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbnzRZGgxnk

2) Create your backup to disk folder (you appear to have done this)

3) Make sure your tape device is seen by Backup Exec (in Devices screen)

4) Create your selection list to at least include all the critical resources on your DC/Exchange etc server

5) Create a policy,

6) Inside the policy create a backup template for the backup to disk using the approprate target storage device and the appropriate media set.

7) In the same policy create  a duplicate template that uses the backup template as a source and specified teh tape drive and an approprate media set for you tapes retenion.

8) If intending to manage weekly and monthly jobs differently (perhaps different media sets etc) then create further backup and duplicate templates to use the different settings

9) use this policy to create jobs and link it to the selecvtuon list you created earlier.

NOTE:  You should probably consider backup up at least the ..\Backup exec\data and ..\Backup Exec\catalog folders on your Backup Exec server as well. (either in same job or as separate jobs).