cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 - Creating a backup job using multiple selection lists

DanerRacing
Level 2

Currently we have 20+ daily backup jobs (1 for every server) and 20 selection lists (1 per server).

How can I create a single backup job, that combines all 20 selection lists?

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to manually add each server to the new backup job and select all the files\folders for every server?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How can I create a single backup job, that combines all 20 selection lists?

You just combine all the selection lists.  However, note that if one of the backups fail, the entire job will be marked as failed and you may have a hard time identifying which of the backup failed and then re-run the job.

For 20 servers, I would personally prefer your present setup of seperate jobs.  It is easier to identify a failure and recover from it.

When you combined the selection lists and have one job, you can only target one media set.

Is there an easy way to do this, or do I have to manually add each server to the new backup job and select all the files\folders for every server?

There is no easier way to combine selection lists.  You would have to do it like the way you described.

DanerRacing
Level 2

I totally agree with your comments, since that is the way we have the 20 backups now. My manager wants to have a single backup job with all the servers in one selection list, and if a backup fails, then go run the currently used individual backup job for that server.

Are the selection lists saved in TEXT format somwhere?

If so where. Perhaps I could simply copy and paste all the contents of each of the selection lists, into a single text file (master selection list).

I don't suppose there is an option in BE 2010, that would email out only the FAILED part of the backup job?

I may have to setup a Outlook rule, to filter the actual FAILED part of the backup jog or something.

This could be a suggestion for a future feature.

Thanks for the quick reply, looking forward to the next comment(s).

Cheers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are the selection lists saved in TEXT format somwhere?

No. I believe they are stored in the BEDB which is in SQL format.

I don't suppose there is an option in BE 2010, that would email out only the FAILED part of the backup job?

No.  You have to comb through the entire job log.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The Outlook rule seems to be a sensible idea. Another option might be monitoring the eventlog (Application) on the BE Server. Every Job which completed with warnings/exceptions will generate a Warning-Entry in the Eventlog, every failed job will create an entry as error.