cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R2 Deduplication Manager Service Fails to start

bbuckland
Level 2

We had deduplication issues previously with 2010 and then were instructed by support to upgrade to the R2 version as it would fix our issues.  The issue that we are having is that we are backing up data between 6pm and 10pm every night.  For weeks on end the backups will go perfectly fine with no issue other than the inconsistent speed that a lot of people seem to be experiencing.  Then all of a sudden BAM the server goes unresponsive but does not crash, it is almost like the network connection dies on the server.  We can KVM in but it takes almost 20 minutes to log in and another 20-30 minutes to perform a reboot.  I have checked with the network team and they see no switch errors and the bandwith we are using is about 500-600/1gb connection.  The server running perfmon seems to record 1.3gb/1gb connection however?  The ultimate price is that after the reboot the dedupe folder/services seem to get corrupted and we have to start all over again. 

Backup server -- Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Dell Poweredge 2900 with MD1000 Disk shelf ( 2TB drives x14 RAID6) 21.3TB usable space)  using about 8TB of space on the dedicated volume

I really cannot keep going to management and telling them "sorry we just lost 10TB of data and 2-3 weeks of data" as we do tape backups once a month.  The latest errors that pop into the app event viewer are:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        spad
Date:          10/20/2010 7:15:07 AM
Event ID:      1
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      IL-SVR-BK10.wideopenwest.com
Description:
The description for Event ID 1 from source spad cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

26016: Spad: checkUpdateCRMode failure.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="spad" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-10-20T12:15:07.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>3531088</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>IL-SVR-BK10.wideopenwest.com</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>26016: Spad: checkUpdateCRMode failure.
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Any help or at least confirmation from someone else that they are experiencing similar issues out there would be nice....

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Have you opened another case with Symantec?  You should, if you haven't already.  You also should ask for a Duty Manager immediately once you get to talk to the first first person on the phone to explain the situation.

GG_COG
Level 2

You are not the only one with these issues. BE 2010 R2 worked great for me for about 2 weeks. Then:

GRT w/Exchange stops working. Not only that but BE decides to remove all the jobs from that period from the catalogs and error out when trying to catalog the media on disk. The job log is the only place I have a record of creating these jobs (Job Status: Competed) . Honestly, I've never had GRT working on an Exchange database with any version of BE so I decided to scrap GRT and just backup the DBs. That doesn't seem to work either.

VMs are the same thing. Fails, Hangs or incompletes when backing up stuff to a dedup folder. Basically it looks to me that if it's a database, don't back it up to a dedup folder.

Just recently had to restore a ton of flat files. The dedup folder hangs on restoration at various percentages.

So I guess a job status of "Completed" really means very little.

I've called support, spent hours listening to static as the tech reads up on my problem. Nothing gets fixed and my case get archived.   

teiva-boy
Level 6

"Nothing gets fixed and the case gets archived."  I dont believe that at all.  

The case only gets closed based on two things.  

1.  It's fixed

2.  No response from the customer.

That said, when you have a support issue with say a level 1 engineer, you immediately ask for a Duty Manager.  You ask for an escalation.  Within hours, your case is moved to a higher up.  In severe cases, mark your instance as a level 1 severity as system down.