cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R2 on Windows Server 2003 R2

Rahimjohar
Level 3

I have installed BE2010 R2 on Windows Server 2003 to backup Exchange Server 2007 GRT.

Media Server Settings:

Agent for MS Exchange is installed on the Media server 
      Agent for Windows System is installed in Exchange 2007 server
      Domain Administrator account is used as a system account for BE
      Domain Administrator's mail box is on Exchange server
      All machine are on a single domain on a same subnet inside the firewall

Can backup successfully (whole C, D, E or just Info Store of Exchange 2007 server)

Restore files and folders

But cannot Restore Individual emails

All Media Used

LTO000014
Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. 
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.  If the server or
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

On this Exchange server there are few more mailbox, I can restore individual items from one of them, which is quite odd but cannot restore from other mailbox including the Administrators.

I will be glade if some one from forum could help me with this.

Kind regards - Rahim 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your update on same good to see all working fine from disk 

Now about tape restore I am watching few issue from past few days on BE 2010 r2 sp1 were tape restore are failing . I will suggest to call symantec support were you can create a web case as so that you can avoid hold time issue so they can confirm the same issue & can give you some sort of confirmation about it can be resolved please click on link below  to open a case using my support & open a case with severity 2 critical so that someone from symantec team can call you & help you

https://mysupport.symantec.com/

Also about this post yes you can close this thread 

Again thanks for all updates

Keep posted cheers

Thank You

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

1 The restore is happening from tape or disk ? if from tape try duplicating to disk & then check

2 Also I presume if you try to restore individual item for other mailboxes it works fine 

3 Is BE 2010 r2 with sp1 ? if not please upgrade & then check

4 I also presume media server & exchange server are on same machine

Waiting for next updates

Thank YOu

Rahimjohar
Level 3

Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt reply

1. Tape drive - we want to use tap so data can be stored off site, will test disk later

2. Out of 5 mailbox only from 1 I can restore individual items

3. I did run Live update, it is showing SP1 again for download, running it now!

4. Different machines, Media Server: Windows Server 2003 R2 Stn x86, Exchange Server: Windows Server 2008 Stn x64

Thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the update

1  As you are doing tape restore please ensure selected location for staging is empty while ding each restore so for example you are staging it E-temp then verify temp folder is blank & drive is not compressed

2 Please check ese.dll version in exchsvr-bin dir on both media server & exchange server they should be on same level that confirm management tool for exchange on backup server are same as exchange server

3 Please ensure if BE 2010 r2 is with sp1 on media server please ensure your remote agent on exchange server is on same level as backup server

4 Finally please go to start-run-& type drivers & got to etc folder & open hosts with notepad & please tweak ipv6 in such way #::1 should have comment & enter the ip address & FQDN of exchange server withloop back address & fqdn of exchange server

5 Also ensure publishing is enabled for remote agent utility on exchange server with FQDN name of backup server & once you do all this ensure remote agent service is using local system a/c & after confirmming it restart the service & then run the restore

With respect to permission please see this tech document for exchange 2007

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51740

If this resolves the issue please mark it solved

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Any updates here

Please mark this solved if this issue is resolved

Thank You

Rahimjohar
Level 3

Hi there,

I am in the process of doing above, we were closed over the weekend and will update this later today.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your update & appreciate your response on same

Will wait for your further update , keep posted

If this resolves the issue please mark it solved

Thank You

Rahimjohar
Level 3

Not much joy :(

This is what I did

Created a new unique domain account for backup exec with email account sitting in Exchange 2007 server for which I can send and receive emails and its a member of below:

Exchange Sever Administrator
Member of local administrators on the Exchange server
Member of Domain admin
Exchange Enterprise
I end up adding all Exchange groups

Updated Exchange server 2007 to SP3 (Exchange SP3)

Updated Exchange Management Tools on media server to SP3

Plus all from TECH51740 doc 

Finally created did a new backup job (Tape)

Now getting below when I restore

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted, or because the recovery storage group or recovery database is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager or Exchange Management 
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65280

I have followed below but this has not solved the issue

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65681&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1295888900222

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

The unique account you have made is that the system log on account in backupexec please confirm that by going to network -log on account --it not please edite the system log on account with domain \username one which you have made

After that please restart the services by going to tools-backupexecservices-service credentials--enter the new user a/c you have made with resot of details

Also I presume BE 2010 r2 is with sp1 & remote agent on exchange server is upto date

& then restart remote agent services on exchange server to check if that works fine

If still not please isolate the mapi issue by using the trick below (please note it is only for testing purpose)

You can go to Tools--Option--Exchange--Check the box legacy mailbox backup & you need to do some additonal step after that considering few thing as If exchange is single server then you can access the registry on that exchange server & go to hklm--softwares--symantec-backupexec for windows--backupexec--engine--ese & then make a new dword value 32 bit with name as E2k7_mbox & value as 1 & then restart remote agent service on exchange server & then in backup selection try to expand the individual mailboxes & see if that works.

Now if that works that indicate mapi is working fine if not please try this

in case of mapi issue you can uninstall mapi client & then reboot the exchange server & then reinstall mapi client & then restart exchange server which normally resolves mapi issue

mapi client 1.2.1 for which you can click on link below to download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx...

Please update me on same

If this helps you can mark this as resolved

Keep Posted

Cheers

Thank You

Rahimjohar
Level 3

I did the top 3 and now can restore individual emails from a Disc backup but still can not restore individual emails from Tape.

On media server with there is about 200GB free space available for C:\Temp to stage Info Store

Restore from Disc complete successfully for 1 email in about 5min

Restore from Tap takes over an hour then fails 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147422&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1295967923138

I guess, I need to close this call unless you want me to try something else other than above link

I really appreciate your help

Thank you 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your update on same good to see all working fine from disk 

Now about tape restore I am watching few issue from past few days on BE 2010 r2 sp1 were tape restore are failing . I will suggest to call symantec support were you can create a web case as so that you can avoid hold time issue so they can confirm the same issue & can give you some sort of confirmation about it can be resolved please click on link below  to open a case using my support & open a case with severity 2 critical so that someone from symantec team can call you & help you

https://mysupport.symantec.com/

Also about this post yes you can close this thread 

Again thanks for all updates

Keep posted cheers

Thank You