cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R2: "Physical Volume Library Robot not found." - no robot!

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

We don't have a tape libary, we just have a simple internal DAT72 single drive (Dell server, with Dell Powervault 100T drive).  OS is 2003 R2 SP2, with BE 2010 R2. 

Been getting a lot of errors on backups lately that seem to indicate corrupt data, but the cleaning light is on and to my knowledge, the drive has never been cleaned.  So I inserted new cleaning tape - went to Devices, right clicked the tape drive, and choose Clean from the menu.  Then clicked Run Now.  The job submits to the queue, then immediate comes back with:

Clean Drive 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Robot not found.

There are no further details presented, and no option to view a log of any sort. 

google searches just come back with people having this error on really old versions of BE, and most of them have an actual library. 

This setup is a totally default setup - I installed BE 2010 R2, ran LiveUpdate, and that was it and began doing manual backups since (just in testing).  I allowed BE to install whatever tape driver or whatever it was detecting. 

I really have no clue where to even start with this problem, so any suggestions are most welcome. 

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So I inserted new cleaning tape - went to Devices, right clicked the tape drive, and choose Clean from the menu. 

That would be the procedure for a drive in a library

For standalone drives, just insert the Cleaning Cartridge and let it process.  If the drive has never been cleaned before, you may want to do this 2 or 3 times

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Seriously?  I don't have to create a job of some sort or anything?  That's crazy but good news since I couldn't find anywhere else to create a cleaning job.  Didn't you used to have to do that in older versions of BE? 

Anyway, I'll go ahed and ask the user to do that a few times.  Any idea how long it takes roughly, or is it just a matter of listenign to the tape for when it's done spooling (or does it eject)?

Since I can't be onsite myself I just want to advise the user what to expect.  I know the cleaning LED had been on, haven't asked if it's off yet but I suppose it would be, thoughf or the 2nd and 3rd cleanings I imagine we'd have to use other indicators than the LED. 

Thanks Ken! 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For stand-alone tape drives, the cleaning process is quite fast and will end when the drive eject the cleaning tape.

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It apepars the cleaning ran because the tape ejected and the cleaning LED is off (I'm now running a test backup to see how things go), but it seems BE is reporting something odd.  If I go to the Device section, right click the tape drive, and head to Properties and then the Cleaning tab for the stats on cleaning, it says the last cleaning was April 14 2011. 

This drive has never been cleaned...the customer doesn't even have a cleaning tape until I ordered one 2 days ago.  Though, that date might be when I first installed this software - could ti be that this statistic would show as the BE installation date initially? 

This date was there before we inserted the cleaning tape, and hasn't changed since after inserting and presumably having the cleaning take place.  So I reset the stats using the buttom no that page and I guess we'll see what happens next time. 

Question:  the tape cleaning did it's thing once, but now all it does is eject right away when I insert it.  Sop there seems to be no way to run this cleaning process more than once consecutively. 

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

This date will be only set if the tape is in a library and thus can be cleaned by job. For standalone drives its simply a time/data counter which counts to infinity unless you reset it.

So for this counter to be accurate you need to manually reset it each time you clean the tape

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So I reset the stats using the buttom no that page and I guess we'll see what happens next time. 

Yeah, standalone drives you have to reset manually

Question:  the tape cleaning did it's thing once, but now all it does is eject right away when I insert it.  Sop there seems to be no way to run this cleaning process more than once consecutively. 

That's strange

You should be able to do multiple clean runs, one after the other.  Unless, maybe, the drive thinks the cleaning cartridge is used up? 

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'll keep all the info on the stats in mind.  To me it would seem there should be something that clearly differetiates librayr-rlated tasks in the tools and other menus from standalone drive tasks.  I'm sure that as people use this sofrttware over time they accumulate the knowledge, but as my BE experience is limited to just running easy backups for small businesses I haven't had to mess with the more advanced functions until just recently. 

Anyway, thanks again guys.

As to the tape auto-ejecting, it's a new tape just ordered in.  To see if I can trigger another cleaning, I'm frist running a regular backup job.  Maybe something is tracking "last cleaned" in CMOS or something and it won't allow another cleaning until some other action has taken place first  No idea really, but we'll see.  If not, then I'll just have to insert the tape whenever it asks.  FWIW, this is a Dell Dat72 drive, using HP-branded DAT tapes (DAT 72 is confirmed to be supported for this cartirdge).  Dont' knwo if brand of tape really plays into this type of thing or not though.