cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R3 SP3 backups to B2D - Backup storage device "failed" this backup only.

James_Crawley
Level 3

I have a server that for over a year has successfully run backups to E:\BtoD directory, until the last few weeks.

One job and one job only that backs up to this particular B2D directory keeps getting the same error.

Job Completion Status shows:

"Job ended: Wednesday, 2 October 2013 at 3:19:16 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33992"

Errors shows:

"Verify- \\<Exchange Mail Server>\System?State \\<Exchange Mail Server>\System?StateStorage device "BtoD" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:

Incorrect function.

V-79-57344-33992 - The backup storage device has failed.

VerifyA selection on device \\<SMTP/SPAM Server>\C: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

A selection on device \\<SMTP/SPAM Server>\Shadow?Copy?Components was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

A selection on device \\<SMTP/SPAM Server>\System?State was skipped because of previous errors with the job."

No other jobs that run on this backup server and that back up to the same BtoD directory get that error, yet this job consistently does. There are no errors in the RAID array manager, server manager or in windows event logs.  I'm at a loss as to why this job and this job only keeps reporting this particular error. Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try re-creating the job and then try again.

James_Crawley
Level 3

I've run defrags on the drive, I've recreated storage devices so the job had a completely empty drive to write to, deleted jobs created by policy and recreated jobs created by policy.  Today just prior to creating this thread I deleted the jobs, selection lists, templates and policies entirely and recreated it all from scratch.

The templates have been around longer than I have so I was hesitant to do so in case of tweaking/fixes I wasn't aware of, but now I couldn't come up with any other options. I'll report back tomorrow on how that goes.

The next step in my head is to completely remove BE2010.  The step after that go to BE2012 (we're licensed for it but I have trialled it and heavily dislike it).  I'm hoping to find a solution rather than going to these options.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried backing up to another disk/tape?

James_Crawley
Level 3

I don't have another disk available.

Last night with _all_ backup jobs, templates, policies and selection lists recreated from scratch, the job failed again for this server and this server only.

Completion Status shows:

Job ended: Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 2:57:53 AM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00084c8 - The backup storage device has failed. Final error category: Backup Device Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33992

The Errors section shows:

Verify- \\<Exchange Server name>\C: SystemAn unknown error occurred on device "BtoD".

VerifyA selection on device \\<Exchange Server name>\E: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

Verify- \\<Exchange Server name>\System?State \\<Exchange Server name>\System?StateAn unknown error occurred on device "BtoD".

It has to be something about the exchange server while it's running a verify on it. Last night it first appeared while doing the verify on the C$ share. I re-ordered the backups too and all backups after the exchange backup failed to run. I'm going to change this so the exchange backup is always last until we get this resolved.

I'm pondering reducing / changing what on the C: drive gets backed up (rather than the whole thing) for tonight. If there's no other suggestions in the next 8 hours, that's what I'll do.

James_Crawley
Level 3

Ok, if I select anything at all from the C: drive or from the system state of the exchange server, I get this problem, even if it's a brand new directory with a 1kb text file in it.

Does anybody have any suggestions for the next step I take? I do somewhat need these to be backed up.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you ensured that no HDDs have failed, or are in prefailure on the server itself?

Does it backup successfully from any other drive?

Thanks!

James_Crawley
Level 3

The source server is a VM on the same SAN as most of the other servers, all drives on the SAN have been checked and report OK. All drives on the destination (BE2010) server reporting OK too.

The backup of the logs from E:\ as well as the backup of the mail stores are all OK.