cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R3 - Verify after Full Backup

SwiftIT
Level 2

Daily incremental backs up and verifies perfectly. Weekly full backs up all data, then for absolutely NO reason ejects the tape, then waits for a tape to be inserted to verify. Re-inserted tapes are ejected. Job must be canceled manually.

Why are the tapes ejected? Where do I find the explanation?

Server 2003 Standard R2 x86, BE2010 R3

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Are the full backup jobs spanning across multiple tapes?

If the above condition is true than BE will verify data from all the tapes where backups are spanned.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It sounds like the first tape is full.  BE ejects it so that you can insert an overwritable tape.  If you check the outstanding alerts, you would see an alert asking to to insert and overwritable tape.  You need to insert an overwritable tape for the job to complete.  Your job has not reach the verify stage at this point in time.  It is still doing the backup.

The reason why the first tape is rejected when it is re-inserted is that it is still overwrite protected.

Manjunath_Rajan
Level 4
Certified

May be you have spanned the tapes to take weekly full backup. If you set media to "override to same media: option, this could resolve your issue.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you set media to "override to same media: option, this could resolve your issue

How do you do this in BE?  If he can do this and overwrite the same tape, wouldn't it destroy the first part of his backup.  Do not offer non-existent solutions and/or solutions which do not work.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're simply copying what someone has said over 3 hours ago, please stop. It's plagiarism (number 1), and adds nothing to the problem solving!

THanks!

SwiftIT
Level 2

First, thank you all for your interest and suggestions!

The same behavior occured on all three servers I maintain. All are Server 2003 Standard R2 x86, BE2010 R3. Except for specific selection in their selection lists, all templates and jobs are configured identically. The backups have run smoothly for several weeks, until last weekend.

1. No jobs span multiple tapes;

2. No job is anywhere near the tape capacity. Several weeks ago, I actually had, and corrected, that exact issue on one of the servers. I reduced (relocated) some of the data and that problem has not recurred;

3. Logs on each server, and subsequent inventory of the tapes, DO show that all the selected data IS being backed up.

The actual problem here, again, is that -

4. The tapes are ejecting at the verification stage as reported in the Job Monitor.

But the real problem is that BE does not explain WHY the tapes are ejected. Why would an eject occur as verification is begun?

And any speculation is exactly that, speculation. Useful information is neither in the Alerts, nor in the Job Monitor's Job Logs, at least not that I've found.

The questions I'm trying to get answered are very simple:

1. Does BE record the reason for ejecting the tape?

2. If so, where?

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Is your overwrite protection set to none?  If so, it's possible the backup could be trampling on to itself (snake eating it's tail...if you will).  It's a long shot but worth investigating.

Also, check the Windows Event logs (System and App) for any errors being reported by the tape drive.  It's possible the full tape could be bad and the verify is having difficulties reading it.

If the above doesn't turn out to be true, then make available a new or recently erased tape, for the next full backup.  Ensure this tape remains in Scratch Media until the start of the backup and see what happens.  You may want to have tracer running in the background in the event a error appears on the READ6 command during the verify process.

Tracer is a software analyzer located in \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\tracer.exe

If you only have the one tape drive, then launch it and hit the green "Go" button at the top.  That's the short version.

To get a comprehensive understanding of the too * how to troubleshoot the hardwarel, follow this link:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49432

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is your overwrite protection set to none?  If so, it's possible the backup could be trampling on to itself (snake eating it's tail...if you will).  It's a long shot but worth investigating.

I realize that 2012 has major changes in it, but in the past, BE has NEVER rewound and overwritten a volume opened or appended in the same job, no matter what the OPP or Global Overwrite settings

One more reason the server centric/one job per server BS makes little to no sense, since the second job (if one does exist) will happily stomp on the backup of the previous server, if you tell it to

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Just trying to find out if this is a corner case...

Lesta_G
Level 6

Yep it definitely is....... customer is in a corner ....

wink

( I now have a new bit of jargon to use)