cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 R3 compatibility with VMWare ESXi5.5u2

ritchiescholten
Level 3

Hi all, does anyone know if there are ompatibility issues with the above 2 products?

Previously had 3 hosts running ESX5.0 and a media server running BE2010R3 with the VMWare Agent installed and all my VM's were backing up fine no problems.

Recently upgraded my hosts to ESX5.5u2 and now my backups have stopped working, referencing an error similar to 'the vCenter Server reported an error with the virtual machines configuration.'

Can anyone advise if these two products should work and are compatible or does my BE installation need upgrading to 2012 SP3? and if so are there plans to release updates to make 2010 compatible with ESX5.5?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is not supported. BE 2010 only support up till ESX 5.1. See the SCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 You should upgrade to BE 2014 which support up till ESX 5.5 U1. I doubt there is any update for BE 2010 to support ESX 5.5

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is not supported. BE 2010 only support up till ESX 5.1. See the SCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682 You should upgrade to BE 2014 which support up till ESX 5.5 U1. I doubt there is any update for BE 2010 to support ESX 5.5

ritchiescholten
Level 3
Would an upgrade to 2012 or 2014 install over the top of my 2010 install and maintain my config and jobs/catalogues or would it have to be a fresh install? In addition to this will my 2010 agent keys be valid eg Exchange and VMware or would I need new ones? On the SCP for 2012 it says 5.5u1 nothing about 5.5u2 is it definitely compatible?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you might have to recreate your jobs, although there is a Migration Wizard task that runs before the upgrade and tells you what possible changes you might face. Don't bother upgrading to BE 2012...go straight to BE 2014.

You need to contact either your reseller, or log onto the Symantec partner portal (or contact Symantec's licensing department) in order to get new keys. These are in *.slf format and the BE 2010 keys are not valid.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can do in-place upgrades to either BE 2012 or BE 2014. Your configuration will be perserved as much as possible. BE 2014 is closer to BE 2010 than BE 2012, so forget about BE 2012. You will need a new set of licences to run BE 2014. The upgrade is free if you are on a current maintenance contract. As I said previously, BE 2014 support up till ESX 5.5 U1. There is no guarantee that there will be no problems with U2. If you can, downgrade to U1

ritchiescholten
Level 3

And you can definately in place upgrade from 2010 to 2014?

The people on the sales line are telling me there is no upgrade path from 2010 to 2014 only from 2010 to 2012.

If this is right then i am trying to froghop 2012 by inplace upgrade from 2010 to 2012 then from 2012 to 2014.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can confirm the upgrade path with the SCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478 No. You upgrade straight from BE 2010 to BE 2014. Do not upgrade to BE 2012 first.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Ritchie: I suspect you're speaking to a very low level tech who doesn't have a clue about the product you're calling in for.

This would be a first in any case. Please refer that person to their own company's SCL where it shows, under:

Backup Exec Upgrade Compatibility --> Upgrade and Rolling Upgrade Compatobility --> Direct upgrade to Backup Exec 2014:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH217478/be_2014_scl.html#backup_exe...

12.5, 2010 (all versions), 2012... <--so yes, you can directly upgrade from BE 2010 to BE 2014.

Thanks!

Artegic
Level 6

I agree with pkh and CraigV: avoid BE2012. Not only is it a botched release. (Believe me, I'm running it right now.) It also supports only 5.5 without any update even with the latest Service Pack.

That said, as a Backup Exec customer you shouldn't have upgraded to 5.5U2 in the first place. According to the SCL even BE2014 won't support 5.5U2. If you want to use Backup Exec you must always be prepared to stay well behind the latest versions of everything else you use. Always check with the SCL and wait until Symantec gets around to supporting it.

ritchiescholten
Level 3

Retrospectively i agree, asnd going forward i will always hold back but i had to perform this upgrade to iron out some other problems. It is however ridiculous that we have to hold back on everything else becuase Symantec won't support things on release.

According to someone i spoke to in Symantec sales this morning 5.5u2 is supported, even though i agree it is not on the SCL.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge comment on whether 2014 will work with 5.5u2? is anyone actually using it? If not is there any idea when we can expect a patch/SP to bring in compatibility?