cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 Remote Windows Agent Crashes on Server 2008R2 - Faulting Module bedsmbox.dll

jnelson2000
Level 3

Clean install of BE2010 with Hotfix. Pushed remote agents to server 2008R2 box (DC, Exchange 2010). When accessing the system, Beremote.exe crashes with faulting module bedsmbox.dll. I have tried to do a complete uninstall, reboot, install and it is inconsistant. The backup job is data only job, as Exchange is backed up in a seperate job. The Exchange job does not seem to crash beremote. Only data backup.

No issues on other 2008SP2 and 2003R2 servers.

Any help would be appreciated. I have all the dump files if needed and have attached one of the several.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited
There is now a public KB for this issue as well:

Beremote.exe crashes when backing up file data from a 2008 R2 server with Exchange 2010 installed
support.veritas.com/docs/337862

Please make sure to try the workaround in the KB article before calling into support.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

jnelson2000
Level 3
I should also note that after taking out the system state, shadow copy and system partition (Z), it seems not to crash.

jnelson2000
Level 3
It also seems to happen only on the Server 2008R2 box during the system snapshot on the mail volume.

jnelson2000
Level 3
Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.2896.0, time stamp: 0x4b184ba1
Faulting module name: bedsmbox.dll, version: 13.0.2896.0, time stamp: 0x4b184b99
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000040bf0
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified
 This may be an issue we have recently identified. I or another Symantec Employee will provide you an update on this thread.

Matthijs_in__t_
Level 3
Partner
I reported the same issue in this forum yesterday. Strangefully my message has disappeared from the forum.

What is the solution for this problem?

Matthijs_in__t_
Level 3
Partner
I found the original message:

Hi there,

We installed Backup Exec 2010. When the backup starts, the Remote Agent stops (beremote.exe). We tried to restart it immediately. That helped a bit (not very practical offcourse :). But the next task in the job made the beremote.exe crash again.
We use Windows 2008R2 + Exchange 2010. In de applicatielog we got:

Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: beremote.exe

P2: 13.0.2896.0

P3: 4b184ba1

P4: bedsmbox.dll

P5: 13.0.2896.0

P6: 4b184b99

P7: c0000005

P8: 0000000000040bf0

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_beremote.exe_ffadddcabfeb4469114686cbd2efa05fc7b87_082a2b23

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 10cb880b-156d-11df-ad61-002481d1e400

Report Status: 4
----------------------------------------

When we debugged the .dmp file, we got:

This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(1e30.78c): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
ntdll!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xa:
00000000`771ffefa c3              ret

------------------------------------------

Any ideas or fixes?

With kind regards,

Matthijs in 't Anker
2Eenheid

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited
There is now a public KB for this issue as well:

Beremote.exe crashes when backing up file data from a 2008 R2 server with Exchange 2010 installed
support.veritas.com/docs/337862

Please make sure to try the workaround in the KB article before calling into support.

Matthijs_in__t_
Level 3
Partner

Great news.
Well, the weirdest thing is that it appears to happen on a server which has Exchange 2010 installed. The backup of Exchange 2010 itself goes perfectly, though.

Well, we'll wait for working and selling Backup Exec 2010 until this works. 90% of our customers have Exchange running.

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
I am a bit puzzled on how a issue can be marked as having a solution when 1 week and 3 days later a patch is not available.  What is the ETA of this patch that is for a Product that is supposed to work with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Exchange Server 2010.  Unfortunately I did not see this thread before I upgraded from Backup Exec 12.5 (which I knew did not cover Exchange Server 2010) yesterday and spent the past 25 hours on and off working on it.

Again:

What is the ETA of this patch that is for a Product that is supposed to work with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Exchange Server 2010?

r2k
Level 2
Hi!

we have two customers which are waiting for this patch.

Please provide us an ETA or a temoprary solution.

Best regards

ArnetNZ
Level 2
I'm not sure whether this is exactly the same issue as you were/are all having,  same symptoms, job commences then crashes straight away, same thing happens when trying to validate the credentials whilst configuring the backup job.

First of all I got a .NET Runtime Event ID:0, followed by Backup Exec Event ID:34113 regarding a communication failure. I also discovered regular SceCli warnings event ID:1202, I discovered  Microsoft KB977695 and resolved the SceCli warnings, which in turn resolved the BeRemote agent crash when trying to backup my server.

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for trying to help.  I just took a quick look and my server is not experiencing the SceCli warnings at least on the backup/exchange server.  I do see the error on the Domain Controller for which the BE Remote Agent is not crashing. 

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
Collin Goolsby:
   Is there any update on when a hotfix will be available?

Our mutual customer needs this now.

Dandav
Level 2
Partner
I have created a seperate Exchange 2010 job and that is working.  The job to bakup data is failing every time.  Is there another workaround.  This client is not getting backups of their data.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Per the technote Collin posted, there is a beta hotfix available for this issue but you will need to call into support and open a case for the issue to get the hotfix.  Right now there is not an ETA on when the hotfix will be released to the general public as it is still in testing.

Server-tech
Level 4
Partner
How long does it take to get the hot fix and more information about this hot fix?  I opened a case last Sunday.  I had been in contact with Symantec Technical support on Tuesday and Thursday.  I still do not have the patch.  I had been using Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 to at least cover the Server OS.  The trial version ha expired.  I originally had Backup Exec 12.5 cover the OS and Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 took care of Exchange 2010.  This delay has cost me a major window when the server can go down.

jnelson2000
Level 3
Server-tech, PM me your email and I will send you the hotfix. It is one file that must be applied on the media server and remote server 2008 R2 Exchange server. Tested for almost a week now and so far so good.

Engineer_System
Level 2
Before the fix, I coudl see the remote disks and the Exhange Information Store.
Pre-patch, i could backup ONLY the Information Store and the server crash if i tried to back up any disk drive.
Post-patch I can now backup any drive with no problem, BUT the Exchange Information Store is no longer visable in the selcetion list.
Yes, great, i can now backup disk drives, but errr. How about my Inormation Store.
For me its was better post-patch as at minimum i had my store backed up.
Anyone else loaded these dll and has it worked or not worked for Information Store

Kingbee
Not applicable

You have to show your extensions of all file types. Symantec has given you the new DLL's with a .txt extension.