cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 - Restoring VmWare - Error 0xe00095B3 - Unable to create virtual disk

data1025
Level 2

Hello,

I am attempting to restore some individual files from a multi-VM backup across two tapes. I can see and select the files for restore, the job runs for ~30 minutes, and then errors with:

Final Error: 0x00095b3 - Unable to create virtual disk.

Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images.

I am using the GRT option so I could restore single files from tape when necessary. 

I have tried the options "Destination > File Redirection" and "Destination > VMWare Redirection (redirect to a folder)" to the local drive on the BE server which is not a VM server.

My current BE version is BE 2010 R2 - Media Server v13.0 Rev 4164 (32bit). Admin console same version. LiveUpdate says there are no updates. I found a hotfix 354451 for a previous revision number, but when attempting to install, it says it must be on the media server, which I am.

I have the license installed for "Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure".

I have never "restored" from this server.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Change Tools - Options - VMware - "Enter a path to store the temporary files created by staging"

and

Tools - Option - Restore - Granular Recovery Technology.

Make sure to use the same path in both.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

data1025
Level 2

Hi Craig,

Yes, I reviewed that article, which is where I got that hotfix # from. The article only mentions backups. I am attempting a restore. I am also not using a NAS but a Dell server with a local HD installed.

data1025
Level 2

Hello...

I see part of my problem. No matter where I tell the restore job to store the temporary VMDK file, it places it in the C:\temp folder. The job saves with the correct folder name, but the job details/submit page always says C:\temp.

My C drive has no space. I have changed the environment variables for Windows but no luck.

Is there ANY way to make the temporary "staging" area go to another drive letter?

I am referring to the first setting shown here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74279

Thanks,

Eric

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check under Tools --> Options --> VMware. The option for a temporary staging area should be listed there.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Change Tools - Options - VMware - "Enter a path to store the temporary files created by staging"

and

Tools - Option - Restore - Granular Recovery Technology.

Make sure to use the same path in both.

data1025
Level 2

Hi Ben,

That's what fixed my issue. I entered the same path into the Tools - Option - Restore - Granular Recovery Technology and noticed immediately that the job summary showed the new location.

Craig - Thank you again for your help too!