cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 Slow Windows 2008 System State Backup

Tom_Mucha
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Has anyone tried BE2010 with a 2008 server system state backup?  I'm seeing the same problem I saw with 12.5 that the system state slows to a crawl during backup.  This was supposedly fixed in 12.5sp2, but apparantly it's still an issue in 12.5 - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336283.htm, and I'm seeing it in 2010

Here are the results of backing up a 2008R2 Enterprise DC with BE2010 installed (latest live updates) attached to a LTO3 drive on an HP DL380G5.

c: drive backup:
Backed up 11514 files in 2660 directories.
Processed 13,728,690,754 bytes in  3 minutes and  31 seconds.
Throughput rate: 3723 MB/min
Compression Type: Hardware
System State backup:
Backed up 18 System State components
Processed 6,972,047,332 bytes in  24 minutes and  2 seconds.
Throughput rate: 277 MB/min
Compression Type: Hardware

When I backup a 2003 server I have no performance issues.  Hopefully I'm not the only one seeing issues!

Tom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

This issue is now fixed in,

BE2010 R3 : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76051

BEWS 12.5 SP2 : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66758

You may also try applying the performance patches mentioned in Technote : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76051

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

Chuckster
Not applicable

Hi Tom,

I'm having the same thing here on my Server 2008 R2 box.  Did you ever get any kind of resolution to this?

Cheers,

Andy

GDaddy
Level 3

win2008 x64 and be 2010

I'm also having that issue.  I just noticed it today but its been going on for a while. 

Tom_Mucha
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I never found a fix for it, sorry guys.  I had a case open with support and we started down the road of basic troubleshooting, and I just wanted them to try it in their lab to see it themselves.  I was in no mood to waste my time so I just ended up closing the case. 

(This is sarcasm) I guess this is a new feature that might get fixed in the next release, just like the good ol' daylight savings time issue since Backup Exec 9.0 that would get fixed in 9.1 that we still see in BE 12.5. 
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336283.htm

scudulike
Not applicable
I have exactly the same issue - BE 2010 running on SBS2008 - the job starts and runs fine until it gets to System State - it then takes about an hour to backup system state, and as soon as it's done it speeds up again.

Any sign of a fix for this?

ITTZ
Not applicable
I have the same problem on three Win 2008 R2 Servers. The backup of the System State is very slow - all other things work fine.

Six months (since opening this discussion) without solving this problem is unacceptable.

I hope Symantec is reading this discussion - the case at Symantec is still open since weeks.

Tom_Mucha
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Nothing guys - same issues with BE2010 R2.  If you open the link to my original post up top, they still say the issue is being looking into.

Paul_Gazo
Level 3
Same issue with my clients.  Multiple customers, multiple servers, multiple destination devices.  Server 2008 (I don't have any R2 boxes yet) are always pathetic at System State.  I have a 600G nightly array of four servers being done that takes 7 hours and would be done in half that if it weren't for the crawling System State portion.

Every few months I do a quick search to see if there's been a whitepaper or patch or anything and continue to be let down.

BE is a great product and I have no intention of going to an alternate, but I don't see that consumer needs are actually part of the development process.  Now we've got an awesome "Typical Install" in 2010 R2 to help us get to our Wizards that will help us remember our yearly support renewals.  Thank goodness.  It'd be a shame if B2D to USB/eSATA external actually behaved itself and overwrote GRT media like it's told, or if System State wasn't so drag-butt slow.  I admit I haven't seen the DST bug in a while, but since that was around since 7.0 who knows.

WesZ
Not applicable
Hi Technicians,

I'm also experiencing this problem with multiple servers. I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R2 right now and we have the following Windows versions in our environment:

- Windows 2003 R2
- Windows 2008 SP2
- Windows 2008 R2

All of the servers have a very slow backup of the System State. It's beginning to be a bottleneck in our Backup Window.

Byte count : 9,741,829,623 bytes
Rate : 121.00 MB/Min

We also experiencing  a slow backup for the C:\ drive on some servers, but the D:\ drive is going fine (about 1,5GB/Min).

I hope Symantec has a proper solution for this problem!

gr.

Wesley

BE-Vita
Level 3

Is there any solution for this issue? I also have another problem with the system state:

I just wanted to create a new backup job for one of my domain controllers in BE 2010 R2 and can't even choose the system state. I am getting an error message, that the AD domain services have to run, but of course they are running.

Any hints?

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Refer this link

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336283.htm

I  think still symantec is working on this issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...not sure if anybody has come right here, but I am going to be following the following TN, and wondered if anybody had come right? Got the same issue with BE 2010 R2 with all patches installed...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66758

sbudhdeo
Level 3

Have the same problem ever since BE 12.  AD SystemState backups are at a crawl.  Hope a fix is released soon

Steen_Kirkby
Level 3

Suddenly started yesterday with a domain controller that was updated to Windows 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. Backup Exec + remote agent was also updated with newest updates as of yesterday.

Other servers were updated with no problems at all (other domain controllers as well). Not sure if this is related to the installation of Win2008 R2 SP1 or installation of the Backup Exec updates. The Windows service pack failed on first try (after running almost 3 hours) but installed on second try (this time only 20-30 minutes) - maybe somethings is wrong on that server - will try to reinstall the backup exec agent on it and see if it makes a difference.

Current system state backup time:

Processed 12.066.756.471 bytes in  9 hours,  23 minutes, and  1 second.
Throughput rate: 20.4 MB/min
Compression Type: Software
Software compression ratio: 1,7:1

It used to be like this (last week):

Processed 9.251.657.723 bytes in  1 hour,  1 minute, and  13 seconds.
Throughput rate: 144 MB/min
Compression Type: Software
Software compression ratio: 1,7:1

It actually look like the backup job is hanging for 8 straight hours when it gets to the System State (no change in bytes counted for 8 hours) and then it continues with regular speed. All other parts of the job runs at the same speed as usual.

Steen_Kirkby
Level 3

I just noticed this event (event id 8219 in Application Log). This event never occured before the problem started and is now logged every time I start a system state backup:

Ran out of time while expanding file specification \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4\Windows\softwaredistribution\*.*. This was being done for the WUA subscriber.

Operation:

OnPostSnapshot event

PostSnapshot Event

Context:

Execution Context: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer

Execution Context: Writer

Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}

Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer

Writer Instance ID: {de874263-3585-4a3f-9b77-bdbbdb732903}

Steen_Kirkby
Level 3

Tried reinstalling Backup Exec Remote Agent.

Tried re-registering VSS Components

(as described here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486)

Still no luck

JJohnson1
Level 2

Windows Server 2008 R2 with BE 2010 R2, good transfer speeds before adding Service Pack 1. Used to run 1.5 hours on BU now nearly 8 hours.

Error 8220 in application log:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        VSS
Date:          3/4/2011 11:45:27 PM
Event ID:      8220
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Server
Description:
Ran out of time while deleting files.

Operation:
   OnPostSnapshot event
   PostSnapshot Event

Context:
   Execution Context: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
   Execution Context: Writer
   Writer Class Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
   Writer Name: Shadow Copy Optimization Writer
   Writer Instance ID: {8bd85a38-577a-4423-8c4a-3a20f71cf15b}
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

Ian_McGuinness
Level 3

I think i have the same issue here now..  Only started after installing Win2008R2 SP1.

My backup of 8 Win2008R2 VMs (including 2 DCs) has gone from 7 hours to 35 hours with only a small change in total data.

rolapro
Not applicable

I have a brand new Dell Powervault T310 running Win 2008 R2 SP1 with an LTO 3 tape drive and BE 2010 SP1 plus hotfix

I am backing up 32 Gb of data, including System State with a throughput of 1.4Gb per minute and it's taking over 10 hours instead of 20 mins.

Last night's backup for some reason only ran at 385Mb per minute