cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010: Some questions about the VMware Infrastructure Agent

fiNal
Level 4
Hi group

I was watching your presentation about BE2010 and signed up for the early adopter program. However, I have not actually had the time to download and install BE2010 beta yet.

Nevertheless, a couple of questions came up while watching the presentation, mostly about the VMware Agent in BE2010:

In BE 12.5, a GRT Backup of a Virtual Machine using the VMware Infrastructure Agent require the BE Agent to be installed on the VM. The GRT Backup is needed in order to be able to restore single files and folders, very useful for a file-server for instance on which a user accidently deleted a file.

Therefore, my questions are:
- is this still a requirement in BE 2010? Other software like Vizioncore's vRanger Pro does not require any modification of the VM in order to gain file-level access on the backup-sets. This shows that it COULD be done without an additional piece of software on the VM.
- If the agent still has to be installed on the VM, does one actually have to license those agents aswell?

Also, I was wondering if Media-Server deduplication (which is recommended according to the presentation in a VMware envoyrement) works even across seperate VMs.
For instance, lets say I have a Windows 2003 Server and clone it ten times, and only make moderate changes like machine name (registry-file) and things like that. Now, 99% of the files on those ten machines will be identical. If I ran a backupjob over all ten VMs, will deduplication notice this and therefore the resulting backup-size would only be about the size of one VM (plus some overhead for the changed files on all the others)?

And, last but not least: Any words on pricing yet for the deduplication option?

Best Regards,
fiNal
4 REPLIES 4

fiNal
Level 4
anyone?

Digital_Kru
Level 2
Employee Accredited
fiNal,

I am a Symantec employee in the Backup Exec team.  There will be information publicly available after the launch (which is soon).  After that time we can answer details around the specifics for the updates and any changes associated with the virtual agents.  Pricing information will also be made public as of the launch.

I can tell you that I anticipate you will be pleased with the answers coming.  Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
BE TPM

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
From the 2010 admin guide, which is available here http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/338514.htm
"To use Backup Exec's Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) with the Agent for VMware, install the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems on any virtual machines that run Windows."

As for pricing, that's not available just yet.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 I do not believe an agent is required for file/folder level recovery of a VM.
An agent is only needed for exchange/sharepoint/etc level recovery with GRT.

When you buy the virtual agent, it entitles you to an unlimited number of guests, and access to the remote agent for windows to be installed in those guest if you need it.

VisionCore and BE are not the same product, it's apples to Apple pie.  You just get more with BE.