cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

BE2010 - always get Database Maintenance Failure error pop up everyday

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi All,

I'd like to know if there is anything wrong with my Backup Exec database here with my SQL Server 2008, here's the error log from Windows Event Explorer:
##########################################################################################################

Type : Error
Date : 17/05/2010
Time : 4:00:00 AM
Event : 57348
Source : Backup Exec
Category : None
User : N/A
Computer : KENWORTH
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Database Maintenance Failure(Server: "KENWORTH") (Job: "Database Maintenance") Summary of database maintenance activity:

Maintenance has failed: 10, Dump database failed
Total elapsed time: 
##########################################################################################################
Event : 3041
Source : MSSQLSERVER
Category : Backup
User : DOMAIN\Administrator
Description:
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE BEDB. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.
Event : 18204
Source : MSSQLSERVER
Category : Server
User : DOMAIN\Administrator
Description:
BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

but somehow so far so good, all of the backup operations still going fine. and this is the BE Util result seems to be fine as well:

has anyone suffer from the same problem like this one ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
While running the maintenance of BE it updates the bedb.bak file and if I see the last event veiwer it says"Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)". It seems it is not able to update the BEDB.bak file because of some permission issue, can you please try to manuall change the name of that file and see if you are able to do so.

Also is this the first time it is failing or it never worked for you. You can try renaming that file to old and run the repair of BE and then try to run the maintenance with the BE console and run it after couple of minutes to see it works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

tech29
Level 6
Hi,

Try these steps:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279751.htm

Regards,
tech29

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
While running the maintenance of BE it updates the bedb.bak file and if I see the last event veiwer it says"Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)". It seems it is not able to update the BEDB.bak file because of some permission issue, can you please try to manuall change the name of that file and see if you are able to do so.

Also is this the first time it is failing or it never worked for you. You can try renaming that file to old and run the repair of BE and then try to run the maintenance with the BE console and run it after couple of minutes to see it works.

Symanticus
Level 6
Yes Sazz, this is the first time and it walways error, I'll follow your suggestion and report back to you.

I was able to delete the *.bak file inside my .\Data directory

Cheers,
AWT