cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 can't restore GRT on Exchange 2010 & error in mounting Mailbox Database

V1CO
Level 2
All,

I have 1 server of Domain Controller (W2K8R2) name, 1 server of Exchange (W2K8R2 + Exchange 2010) and 1 backup server (W2K8R2 + BE2010R2) all are Virtual Server in one host server.

The name of the domain : indo.com
AD server              : ad.indo.com
Exchange server : exc.indo.com
BE server              : bews.indo.com

This Monday, i started to install BE2010R2 (Installed with Hyper V agent, AD agent and Exchange agent) , the installation was success and also I install MAPI DCO ver 1.2.1 to my Exchange 2010 server. Setting up the backup schedule and it works perfectly.

I have 2 problems for restoration from BE2010R2 :

1. When i try to restore one mailbox using GRT and  it failed.
2. When i try to restore the whole mailbox database and public folder it succeeded by when i try to mount the database from the Exchange 2010 it failed.

Problem 1 :

Failed to restoring one mailbox using GRT and showed this message :

Job ended: Thursday, September 02, 2010 at 8:08:49 PM
Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00002f8 - Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown MAPI errors. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-760

Solution i have tried :

1. Visited : http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-57344-760 and it redirect to the following site : http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/322697.htm
and i have done the following steps :

Exact Error Message
"The Job Failed with the following error: cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown mapi errors. Review the job log for more information."

Details:

Make sure that the System Logon Account, and Backup Exec Service Account are running under an account that has been setup following  http://support.veritas.com/docs/306270
If the restore still fails or the accounts have already been setup correctly, give the System Logon Account, and Backup Exec Service Account explicit owner permissions over the Public Folder directories that they are attempting to restore into.

Supplemental Material:

System: Ref.#
Description
UMI: V-79-57344-760 Cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown MAPI errors
Error Code: 0xe00002f8 cannot open one or more mail messages because of unknown mapi errors

2 . Visited http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306270.htm

V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory Storage_Group and its subdirectories.

Details:

Granular Restore Technology (GRT) enables individual items to be backed up and restored across several Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agents.

Exchange GRT functionality involves using MAPI (Messaging API) to impersonate individual users from a single account in order to gain access to the individual mailboxes so that a catalog of the contents can be created.

In a GRT-to-Tape backup, or GRT-to-Disk restore, this process of cataloging the mailbox contents occurs after the Information Store (or individual Storage Groups depending on how the Selection List was created) has been completely backed up.  The store is "staged" and the Exchange environment is simulated so that Backup Exec may effectively use GRT to access the mailboxes and create the catalogs in the case of a backup, or read the catalogs in the case of a restore.

Cause 1: Permissions for the Backup/Restore Logon Account
UMI Code(s): V-79-57344-33928

The account that is required for this process must have very specific permissions and attributes to allow this complex process to take place:

1. The account must be an Exchange Full Administrator (Exchange 2003) or an Exchange Organization Administrator (Exchange 2007) at the top level of Exchange
2. The account must be either a Domain Administrator (Recommended, ensure that Domain Admins is a member of the Local Administrator's group on the Exchange Server) or a Local Administrator on the Exchange Server.
3. The account must have an active mailbox on the Exchange Server.
4. The account must have received e-mail via the mailbox.
5. The account must have sent e-mail via the mailbox.
6. The account must be named so that it is unique within 5 characters. (Refer to the TechNote below #7 for steps to test this).
7. The account must be visible to the Global Address List, not hidden from it.

Cause 2: The System Logon Account is not defined in the Backup Exec console.

Under the Network\Logon Accounts menu in the Backup Exec console, ensure that a System Logon Account is present.  If there is not a System Logon Account showing under "Account Name", create one by clicking the System Account Button.
Related Documents:

256537: How to confirm that an Exchange mailbox name is unique within the Exchange organization when configuring Backup Exec to backup mailboxes or if a GRT (Granular Restore Technology) based backup does not display individual mailboxes for restore
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/256537

Allthough i have done the step above i still can't restore one mailbox from BE2010R2

Need your advice on this, are there any steps that i have missed out ?

Problem 2 :

I try  restore the whole mailbox database and public folder and it reports successfull as you can see below :

Restore Set Information
Restoring data to \\EXC.indo.com\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1259314286 EXC.

Storage Media #1: " Media created 9/1/2010 11:20:02 PM "
Backup performed on 9/1/2010 at 11:21 PM
Backup set #1: " Backup 00002 "

Restore started on 9/2/2010 at 8:40:15 PM.

Restore Set Detail Information

Restore completed on 9/2/2010 at 8:40:43 PM.

Restore Set Summary
Restored 1 Exchange Server stores
Processed 119698902 bytes in  28 seconds.
Throughput rate: 245 MB/min

Drive and media information from media mount: 9/2/2010 8:40:44 PM
Drive Name: Backup-to-Disk Folder 2 (C:\Backup Folder 2\IMG000008)
Media Label: IMG000008
Media GUID: {cdb0657d-186e-41b3-a9c4-1f782aa0b883}

Set Information - \\EXC.indo.com\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1422207445 EXCIPUTRA
Restore Set Information
Restoring data to \\EXC.indo.com\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1422207445 EXC.

Storage Media #1: " Media created 9/1/2010 11:20:02 PM "
Backup performed on 9/1/2010 at 11:22 PM
Backup set #1: " Backup 00002 "

Restore started on 9/2/2010 at 8:40:45 PM.

Restore Set Detail Information

Restore completed on 9/2/2010 at 8:40:55 PM.

Restore Set Summary
Restored 1 Exchange Server stores
Processed 38,938,656 bytes in  10 seconds.
Throughput rate: 223 MB/min

The problem occurs when i try to mount the mailbox database and public folder, the message that occurs are :

1. Mailbox database mounting error message:

--------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Exchange Error
Failed to mount database 'Mailbox Database 1259314286'.

Mailbox Database 1259314286
Failed
Error:
Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: Mailbox Database 1259314286; Error code: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)
 [Database: Mailbox Database 1259314286, Server: EXC.indo.com].

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)
 [Database: Mailbox Database 1259314286, Server: EXC.indo.com]

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)
 [Server: EXC.indo.com]

MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)

OK

2. Public Folder mouting error message :

Microsoft Exchange Error
Failed to mount database 'Public Folder Database 1422207445'.

Public Folder Database 1422207445
Failed
Error:
Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: Public Folder Database 1422207445; Error code: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)
 [Database: Public Folder Database 1422207445, Server: EXC.indo.com].

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)
 [Database: Public Folder Database 1422207445, Server: EXC.indo.com]

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)
 [Server: EXC.indo.com]

MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-515)

OK

Steps that i have done :

1. Restart all Exchange services

I still can't mount the database, are there any solution for both of the error i found ?

Thank you for all your support and answer.

Best Regards,

Benedict
1 REPLY 1

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Please refer Microsoft Document http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810198. Cause of the issue following
• Files in the database's running set are missing.
• Files in the database's running set have been replaced with different versions.
• Files in the database's running set are corrupted.

the files backed up and the database currently mounted may be of different version

Try to  a restore with the option "Purge all contents" selected

FYI if you have 2 issue open 2 post for each ,so that you get quick reply