cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010: how to move medium from one partition to another ?

bitIT
Level 3

Hi all,

We're using Backup Exec 2010 System Recovery without a tape library (so only storage on HDD, partitions D:\ and E:\). Up to now all backups were stored on partition E:\. Now I'm trying since weeks to find out how to move some media from E:\ to D:\, but I don't find anything relevant. The idea is to completely move the storage from partition E:\ to D:\.

Can someone please help me ? Is it even possible to move the medium from one partition to another / to change the path where backups are stored without losing data ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'd disable the B2D in BE. Then move the folder in Windows. Once done, recreate a B2D pointing to the new location on D:\.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV

...moved to the correct forum!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

See p. 161 of the users guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75968

bitIT
Level 3

Well, I must have been wrong about the product we're using... it's not BESR2010, but BE2010. Sorry for that.

I'm also sorry for having posted in the wrong forum. I move it back to the "backup exec" forum, hope it's then OK.

In the Administrator manual I didn't find any answer to my problem. It's also possible that I don't understand correctly all these things with media/storage management.

CraigV

...you should be able to copy your data in your B2D folders from E:\ to D:\ and then recreate the B2D within BE itself. Once done, run an inventory...

bitIT
Level 3

Ok, so you mean :

1- delete the destination B2D folder ("where the data will be moved to")

2- move data

3- create the B2D folders in BE

4- run an inventory

Would it not work without step 1 and 3 ?

CraigV

...I'd do either a copy or move. I wouldn't delete the folder from the E:\ drive at all until it is confirmed to have moved successfully and recreated in BE pointing to the D:\ drive.

bitIT
Level 3

The question was more about the deletion/re-creation of the "device" in BE, not the folder on the disk. If I simply move the data from E:\ to D:\ and then run an inventory, it should be OK, no ?

CraigV

...I'd disable the B2D in BE. Then move the folder in Windows. Once done, recreate a B2D pointing to the new location on D:\.

bitIT
Level 3

Ok, it seemed to work without any deletion.

I disabled B2D on both folders in BE, then moved data between D:\ and E:\ as needed, then enabled both B2D folders in BE and finally ran an invetory on both B2D folders.

Note that the settings for both B2D folders are the same (I suppose that it possibly makes problems, therefore the need of deleting/re-creating them).

Thank you for your help !

bitIT
Level 3

Confirmation: jobs all OK this night, no problem !

Thanks once again.