cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010: verify option

ivanw
Level 3
I use LTO-4 with BE 2010. I choose to verify data after backup completes and it takes a long time.
What operations does BE in verify? Is there also a compare between original files and copied files?
If, after backup, I make a restore of all files backuped, is the verify useless?

Thank's you
2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What operations does BE in verify? Is there also a compare between original files and copied files?

Yes. That is correct

If, after backup, I make a restore of all files backuped, is the verify useless?

Yes, but the question is: Can you restore the data if the backup is bad?  Verify lets you know whether the backup data is good or not.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Symantec Technical Services strongly recommends that both the Verify and Write checksum to media options should be used for all backups that are performed.  If Verify after backup completes is not selected, a successful backup only confirms that data was written to the tape or disk; it does not verify that the tape/disk can be read or restored from the media. As long as Write checksums to media is selected, a verify can be run at a later time. Tape verification errors can be the first indication that a tape, drive, SCSI controller, or SCSI cable are going bad. It may also be indicative of outdated or incompatible firmware on the device.  
It is recommended to run the verify on all kind of backups . Tape media is much more subject to physical damage than a hard drive, so data can be written incorrectly. Simple dirt or dust can affect a tape backup too but that doesn't mean that disk are not prone to physical damage. Disk backups can have this issue but rarely

By not running a verify, data errors may not become apparent until a restore or catalog operation is attempted from tape media. For this reason, running backups without the verification and checksum options is not advised

http://support.veritas.com/docs/245177